I'm totally vetoing the top-to-bottom ribbon hover idea. Partly because I don't care for the way it looks (because the text isn't centered it just offends my aesthetic sense), but also because--and this is crucial--I can't think of any way I could possibly pull it off.
Awh, alright then.
My only qualm with the site changes is that we're still using a landing page that was created, what, 2 or 3 site revamps ago? Everything thing seems to change except for THIS GOD DAMN PAGE RIGHT HERE.

GET RID OF IT NOW
Hey, if anyone wants to provide something better, we can take a look. I think we should at least get rid of the gradient there and extend the blue color to the sides.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Hey, if anyone wants to provide something better, we can take a look. I think we should at least get rid of the gradient there and extend the blue color to the sides.

I might style it up later tonight for you.
I will try to see what I can come up with over the week.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I'm totally vetoing the top-to-bottom ribbon hover idea. Partly because I don't care for the way it looks (because the text isn't centered it just offends my aesthetic sense), but also because--and this is crucial--I can't think of any way I could possibly pull it off.

Not knowing how should never be a good reason to give up. Centering the text should be easy enough. Is it the styling that's the problem or is it just the idea of selecting a tab based on the current location?

I played around with members2.default.css and came up with some working settings for the style.

Centering the text normally doesn't work because the parent element is too big. Changing the height to 43px seems to work:
.topbar_menu ul.toplevel {
height: 43px;
}

These settings seem to extend the hover color from top to bottom. They are based on the height value above:
.topbar_menu ul.toplevel:not(.tinyicon):not(.separator):hover > li > a > span:not(.menu_center) {
padding-top: 25px;
margin-top: -25px;
padding-bottom: 25px;
margin-bottom: -25px;
padding-left: 10px;
margin-left: -10px;
padding-right: 10px;
margin-right: -10px;
}

Edit: You also need this to correctly extend the actual clickable area of the links:
.topbar_menu ul.toplevel > li > a {
padding-top: 25px;
margin-top: -25px;
padding-bottom: 25px;
margin-bottom: -25px;
padding-left: 10px;
margin-left: -10px;
padding-right: 10px;
margin-right: -10px;
}

Let me know if this works. I think it looks better than what is currently there. We can figure out how to make the tabs stay selected later.
In response to Multiverse7
The problem isn't that I can't center the text; it's aligned the way it is for a reason. I could center that text if I wanted, but we always wanted it riding low. Originally it was lower, but Tom thought it looked better bottom-aligned to the logo and I agreed.

The reason I said no to the top-to-bottom blue is that I can't readily think of a way to have the blue highlight extend that far while positioning the text, and even if I could, I don't want to because I think it doesn't look nearly as good as constraining the blue highlight to the words themselves.
the images need updating too, like so:

Yes ban Tom from all games.
Preferably without usr abuse.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Preferably without usr abuse.
Lmfao.
Sitting here at Katsucon reading these forums and seeing these mock ups has been more fun than me wandering merchant rooms and going to disappointing panels.

I've been doing some doodles of a layout here and there in my "down time", and I am going for a much more in-depth revamp.

At first I wanted to just tinker with what we have now, but now for a personal project on one of my domains I am just redesigning the whole site for shits and gigs.
Mind you any huge revamps are not going to happen. I'm open to tweaks, although having spent yesterday in tweak hell I'm not anxious to do a ton more of it.
I think I was on edge already but I may leave BYOND simply due to this layout.
In response to King_ed
King_ed wrote:

Don't let the pbags hit you on the way out.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
King_ed wrote:

Don't let the pbags hit you on the way out.

^
People are so ungrateful.

Page: 1 2