ID:178481

I was reading up on the various sources of information on this topic around the BYOND website, and it's either a bit vague, or I'm a moron. (I forsee ;P)

Does BYOND actually let you host your game off of their server for free, or do you require your own server?

My friend is running a UNIX-based server which he lets me run stuff off of, but I'm not sure how to run it from there either.

*looks into the sky* Enlighten me!

Thankyap.
Malver wrote:
[snip]
Does BYOND actually let you host your game off of their server for free, or do you require your own server?
[snip]

At one point Dantom offered server space. This is no longer the case. The reference on the hub is free though. People can connect to your game through the hub.

If you have something you want constantly hosted, then you could get your own server. However, for most session-based games, you will not need one. For instance, Dragon Warrior Online might need one, but Laser Wars does not.

Session-based (hours, possibly days) games can be hosted perfectly well in Windows. Don't worry about *nix servers unless you need to keep it up for long periods (weeks, months) of time.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
Malver wrote:
[snip]
[snip]

At one point Dantom offered server space. This is no longer the case. The reference on the hub is free though. People can connect to your game through the hub.

If you have something you want constantly hosted, then you could get your own server. However, for most session-based games, you will not need one. For instance, Dragon Warrior Online might need one, but Laser Wars does not.

Session-based (hours, possibly days) games can be hosted perfectly well in Windows. Don't worry about *nix servers unless you need to keep it up for long periods (weeks, months) of time.

And if I do wish to keep it up for long periods of time, how do I go about doing that?

In response to Malver
*bump*
In response to Malver
Please do not bump your post, it was just a few hours since you last posted. And to anweser your question you could always leave your computer on if your willing to host yourself, or you could find someone willing to host.
In response to Malver
Ask your friend how to setup things to run from the unix server.
In response to Darkness
Ah, I stated in the first posts that I have a UNIX server that I can use.

The only information I require is HOW to run it off of the server.

Thankyap.

In response to Malver
Malver wrote:
Ah, I stated in the first posts that I have a UNIX server that I can use.

The only information I require is HOW to run it off of the server.

I haven't much looked into this myself, but it basically involves just downloading the appropriate UNIX version of BYOND and installing it, then starting up DreamDaemon with the right parameters. (In theory I might be able to run a server off my own host; I'm a little hazy on my current account conditions, whether it covers one shell process or more, so I might need to pay them more if I ever decided to host a BYOND server as well as my chat.)

Lummox JR
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Ask your friend how to setup things to run from the unix server.

I know how to run things off of the server. I used to have several text-based MUDs.

My friend has experience with text-based MUDs, not BYOND software.

In response to Malver
In that case, want to trade friends?
In response to Lummox JR
Is there any official docs from the BYOND developers on this topic, or is it at-your-own-risk kind of thing?

In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
In that case, want to trade friends?

For what?

In response to Malver
So I can have someone to host my stuff :oP
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
So I can have someone to host my stuff :oP

He does it for free...check out rmud.net...

Hope he doesn't get mad at me if everyone floods there. :P