ID:178511

someone gave me this code to add...

oview = 5

...where should I put it?
Nowhere... that's not good code. oview() is a proc, not a variable. What exactly is it you're trying to do?
In response to Lesbian Assassin
someone said use that so that the screen always stays over the character when they move, apparently they were having problems with walking off the screen and not knowing where they were.
In response to Star313
Star313 wrote:
someone said use that so that the screen always stays over the character when they move, apparently they were having problems with walking off the screen and not knowing where they were.

Whoever this someone was, they didn't know what they were talking about.
What you described is the default behavior; client.eye is always set to match client.mob unless you specifically change it, so the player is always in the center of the screen.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Star313 wrote:

Whoever this someone was, they didn't know what they were talking about.
What you described is the default behavior; client.eye is always set to match client.mob unless you specifically change it, so the player is always in the center of the screen.

Lummox JR

Actually, there was a note in the release for 324 (Listed here) that describes a bug that might explain this. In some cases, people were walking off the edge of the screen when they should not have.

In any case, it has nothing at all to do with the line of code in question.
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:
Actually, there was a note in the release for 324 (Listed here) that describes a bug that might explain this. In some cases, people were walking off the edge of the screen when they should not have.

Yeah, I thought of that, but I figured it was probably irrelevant to the problem at hand anyway. And if it wasn't, then it's a problem already solved.

In any case, it has nothing at all to do with the line of code in question.

Quite true. I'm still wondering what the person who gave that advice was even thinking.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
So the code doesn't exist? Okay, Mechanios told me to do that...was he thinking of something similar or what? What do I do? I don't know. Is there some type of coding or should I let people complain for now?
In response to Star313
Star313 wrote:
So the code doesn't exist? Okay, Mechanios told me to do that...was he thinking of something similar or what? What do I do? I don't know. Is there some type of coding or should I let people complain for now?

Are people complaining that your mobs disappear off the side of the screen? If so, all you need to do is download the latest BYOND, and the problem is solved.
In response to Star313
What he probably meant was setting world.view = 5, which you'd do like this:

world
view = 5

In the meantime, my advice to you is: learn how to code, instead of trying to "learn code". It seems to me that what you're doing now is more than likely just taking "pieces of code" that people give to you, and putting them here and there until you get something that looks like it works.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
that's not true, I'm trying to learn but I'm having trouble so I'm asking for help; more than I should but still just asking for help...