ID:178596

Okay... *Takes deep breath* I use a Sympatico DSL to connect to the internet but I also use D link to allow me to use the internet on 3 computers but the D link is a proxy server and also has a firewall or so my dad says anyways I want to know how to set a Fixed port to it so that I can Host games because Im currently making a game and I do not wish to find somone to host it that I cannot make sure its on soo... Can somone help me?
Jacro wrote:
Okay... *Takes deep breath* I use a Sympatico DSL to connect to the internet but I also use D link to allow me to use the internet on 3 computers but the D link is a proxy server and also has a firewall or so my dad says anyways I want to know how to set a Fixed port to it so that I can Host games because Im currently making a game and I do not wish to find somone to host it that I cannot make sure its on soo... Can somone help me?

Is D link a piece of software, or a hardware switch?

What you basically need to do is find a way to configure D link so that it knows that a certain port (say, 2000) goes to your particular computer. The way to do this depends on what exactly D link is; it should have some ability to do what you want. (If it doesn't, you should use something else.) If you're looking in a manual, you'd find this under "IP forwarding" or "port forwarding" or something similar. This probably isn't in the section on how to set up the switch/proxy for normal use, but would be in with advanced configuration options.

Hardware switches basically act like proxy servers, so you're in a similar situation whatever you work with. Basically, they pretend to be your main connection to the Internet (with an IP like 24.35.67.89 or some such) and any requests you make get pass to the Internet; the switch remembers which connections you've made, so it can send data back to the right computer. But when someone "calls in", it doesn't know who's supposed to take the call unless you tell it specifically. Usually, this is handled one of three ways: 1) nothing can connect in, 2) one computer is sent the incoming traffic, 3) the switch is configured to know that certain ports go with certain computers at your end, so incoming connections to those ports are routed to the correct machines.

I hope this helps you find what you're looking for in the manual for D link. Sometimes it's good to have a rough overview of what to look for.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Hehe Okay Ill try and look for the manual... and D link is a Wireless connection thingy that I use so I dont gotta run wires thru my house
In response to Jacro
Jacro wrote:
Hehe Okay Ill try and look for the manual... and D link is a Wireless connection thingy that I use so I dont gotta run wires thru my house

Ah. If it's a hardware device, then, it should definitely be configurable. Good luck.

Lummox JR