ID:178606

When I first started byond I was under the impression that the delimiter choice was up to the coder and that it really didnt matter, well over time I have found out thats a very bad assumtion.

Could someone give me a list of all the delimiter choices and what they do(Difference between each one)?
Winbiko wrote:
When I first started byond I was under the impression that the delimiter choice was up to the coder and that it really didnt matter, well over time I have found out thats a very bad assumtion.

Could someone give me a list of all the delimiter choices and what they do(Difference between each one)?

Delimiters for what, exactly? For URL query strings? Lists?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
.mob.BOB

/mob/BOB

:mob:BOB

*mob*BOB
In response to Winbiko
Winbiko wrote:
.mob.BOB

/mob/BOB

:mob:BOB

*mob*BOB

Those are technically called operators, not delimiters. (The term "delimiter" is usually restricted to things separating items in a list.)

/ is the type path separator; also the division operator. Technically its use in type paths isn't like operator, but more of a basic language construct.

. and : are operators used to access vars or procs within a datum.

* is used for multiplication only.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Sorry about the term miss use.
In response to Lummox JR
wait. I was thinking about if those were operators and they are not. This is why they are not

I used them like a coder would use a '.' in c++.
now:
In C++ it is possible to overload operators such as << or + or - or >> so on so on.

but you can not overload the

cause its not considered an operator.

In fact here is a list of all the operators that can be overloaded:

+ - * / = < > += -= *= /= << >>
<<= >>= == != <= >= ++ -- % & ^ ! |
~ &= ^= |= && || %= [] () new delete

( I got that from : http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/tut4-2.html)

Now I can see an arguement that that first character that tells byond that you are talking about a type could be considered a operator but not the ones used to walk through the structure.

If I am wrong feel free to speak up.

In response to Winbiko
They are called path operators.

http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/info.html#/operator/path//

Some C++ operators may be overridden, but overiding is not a prerequisite to be an operator. Ironically the reference states "This is used to delimit paths in the DM code tree."
In response to Lummox JR
I also asked this because of this:

: operator
See also:
. operator
: path operator
operators
This is the runtime search operator. It is used to access a property of a var that is not explicitly prototyped. If the variable doesn't have the specified variable, a run-time error occurs.

Example:
var/M
M = usr
M:name = "futz" // access a mob property from a non-mob var

and . help file says

. operator
See also:
: operator
operators
This is used to access the procs and vars of a prototyped object. The variable need not actually contain a value with the specified type, but must at least be a type with the specified variable or a run-time error will occur, causing the proc to crash.

Example:
var/mob/M
M.name = "futz" // assign 'name' mob var
M.Move(0) // call 'Move()' mob proc

see how they are treated different?
I was wondering if there was any others.

In response to Shadowdarke
Ah ok.
I stand corrected.

Ya I just looked it up too =P

The DM operators are:

[] () . / :
~ ! - ++ --
* / %
+ -
< <= > >=
<< >>
== != <>
& ^ |
&&
||
?
= += -= *= /= &= |= ^= <<= >>=

A bit off topic but this is cool:

? operator
See also:
operators
Format:
Expr ? TrueExpr : FalseExpr
If Expr is true, this evaluates and returns TrueExpr. Otherwise, it evaluates and returns FalseExpr.