ID:178620

Is there a way to bring up a list of every object in the object tree? Like this:

mob/mob1
mob/mob2
mob/proc/mobs_in_tree(mob/M in mob_tree)
I think you're looking for typesof(). Look it up in the reference.
In response to Foomer
I just tried verbname(turf/T as turf in typesof(/turf)) but I do not get a list of turfs, in fact it does nothing. Am I doing something wrong?
In response to Loduwijk
mob/verb/create_turf()
var/list/types = typesof(/turf)
var/new_type = input("What type of turf?")in types
new new_type(usr.loc)
In response to Nadrew
Thank you, it would be useful if it worked as an arg in a proc though.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
Thank you, it would be useful if it worked as an arg in a proc though.

I believe it does, but your parens were off:

Change:
(turf/T as turf in typesof(/turf))

To:
(turf/T) in typesof(/turf)

I took out "as turf" as it was redundant.
In response to Skysaw
If I put that in instead for my verb it gives a "invalid proc definition" error. I suppose I will just have to do it in a list.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
If I put that in instead for my verb it gives a "invalid proc definition" error. I suppose I will just have to do it in a list.

Don't give up. It will work. It sounds like you have an indentation error. Post the completed proc.
I now have it working, but I put typesof(/atom), and that shows everything except mobs. Why does'nt that show mobs in the list?
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
I now have it working, but I put typesof(/atom), and that shows everything except mobs. Why does'nt that show mobs in the list?

hmm... that's an interesting question. Mobs are supposed to be derived from atom/movable, so it seems they should be in there.

Perhaps there is some structural reason in the language that makes sense... time to ask Dantom. For now, I would use typesof(/mob) for that.
In response to Skysaw
I tried typesof(/atom)+typesof(/mob) and that did not work. I used typesof(/mob) by itself to make sure that came up by itself, and it did, so I tried typesof(/mob)+typesof(/obj), which also worked. After doing all that I tried typesof(/mob)+typesof(/atom) which gave a list with mobs, but this time the areas were gone. I think that some are getting cut off because the list is too long. I am running some tests to see if that is the case.
In response to Skysaw
This is the way I have it now with the list:

mob/gm/verb/change_landscape()
set category="GMcommands"
var/build=input("What do you want to make?") in typesof(/atom)//it is called change landscape, but i change everything with it, not just turfs
new build(usr.loc)

This is the way I had it before that:

mob/gm/verb/change_landscape(atom/A in typesof(/atom))
new A(usr)

This is the way I had changed it to what you had:

mob/gm/verb/change_landscape(atom/A) in typesof(/atom)
new A(usr)

I could only get the list one to work.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
This is the way I have it now with the list:

mob/gm/verb/change_landscape()
set category="GMcommands"
var/build=input("What do you want to make?") in typesof(/atom)//it is called change landscape, but i change everything with it, not just turfs
new build(usr.loc)

This is the way I had it before that:

mob/gm/verb/change_landscape(atom/A in typesof(/atom))
new A(usr)

This is the way I had changed it to what you had:

mob/gm/verb/change_landscape(atom/A) in typesof(/atom)
new A(usr)

I could only get the list one to work.

No wonder... that's not what I was suggesting at all. I brought up that syntax as a part of your input proc, before those changes, not as the argument string for the proc.
In response to Skysaw
When you gave that example it was before anything was said about input, I had only mentioned proc args. You must have misunderstood me. I will right with more clarity next time. So, what is wrong with the way it is used as an argument (in the first one)?

<font size=1>[Edit]</font>I just went back over it, and you did post after the input was mentioned, but you were still refurring to the way I coded it, which was in a verb.