ID:178755

Well I downloaded Byond and I'd really love to make an online RPG, I've got a great idea for one but I do not know the first thing about programming/coding or anything close to it :) So will I be able to make a game without knowing how to write programs?
No. My best advice is learn by doing small projects and then starting bigger games. Don't make your ultimate RPG first. Wait. I know I should have ;)
You don't need to know how to program when you begin in BYOND, but you will learn to program by using it. :)

I suggest you click on the tutorials link at the left and read anything by Zilal, Deadron, and of course Dantom. They are all top notch.
You don't need any previous knowledge in the field of programming but you'll need to learn DM - the language of BYOND (possibly the easiest language on the face of earth) And I suggest you start here.
No you can't. But there are tutorials to get you started! I have one that if you follow it through, you will have your very own (small) rpg, thats includes a combat system, weapons, and such. You can find it at http://www.angelfire.com/games4/byond

Welcome, and I hope you stay with the BYOND community!

-Rcet
In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
You don't need to know how to program when you begin in BYOND, but you will learn to program by using it. :)

Yep. I had no knowledge of anything not even html when I came to BYOND within 2-3 weeks I was already capible of alot, and after you program with BYOND and you go to learn something like C++ or PHP even; you'll have a much easier time than starting from nothing.
DrakeHawkins wrote:
Well I downloaded Byond and I'd really love to make an online RPG, I've got a great idea for one but I do not know the first thing about programming/coding or anything close to it :) So will I be able to make a game without knowing how to write programs?

To actually create a game, you'd be required to write some code in the Dream Maker and its associated language. The good news is this : This programming language is one of the easiest, if not the easiest programming language I have ever seen/tried.

There are many tutorials/demos to get you on your way, the guide, the faq, the reference, and of course these forums. You might want to start out by reading Zilal's Beginner Tutorial, as it is partly aimed at people who have never touched a programming language before(Infact, I believe Zilal just released a new tutorial aimed at board games).

Hope that helps you out :)
Alathon
In response to Shadowdarke
Shadowdarke wrote:
I suggest you click on the tutorials link at the left and read anything by Zilal, Deadron, and of course Dantom. They are all top notch.

And mine isn't?? *gasp* Shadowdarke, I'm hurt! :P

-Rcet

In response to Rcet
Sorry, I never really looked at it, so I can't recommend it. I'll peek at it now. :)
In response to Alathon
I personally have to say that BYOND is one of those "easy to learn, difficult to master" languages.
In response to Nadrew
I would say if you move on from BYOND to something like C++, all you could really skip is the very first part of a book/tutorial (You know, that entire section about comments that always seems to sneak in there). In the case of C++ you have much to learn about. Types, classes, pointer *shudders* not to mention that there are some things you would learn in BYOND that are also used in C++ but are used differently. So I would say in total...yeah, BYOND would give a little overview into the world of what I would consider "real" programming, but I wouldn't say that it makes it much easier to take the step up.

...wow....I totally forgot what I was posting against...geez, when I start a message I should seriously just stick to finishing it.

-Ashing, who lacks the ability to be serious for extended periods of time
To an extent, no! With TextMUD, a simple and effective text game can be created with no programming experience whatsoever. Failing that, you will need to learn a bit... it's all fun though, so don't fret!

-Lord of Water
In response to SuperAshing
No...I think that having experience with BYOND would give someone a fairly decent boost when jumping to a C style language...

Especially in the form of knowing the general feel of this sort of programming... With knowledge in BYOND...you learn how these types of languages work... It's not so much the actual form or layout or structure or anything like that... It's more of the underlying "physics" of the programming itself...

And I think that by learning that in a simple, easy to use language like BYOND would make it a LOT easier to get into the other languages...
In response to SuperAshing
SuperAshing wrote:
I personally have to say that BYOND is one of those "easy to learn, difficult to master" languages.

I disagree, here. To my mind C is easy(ish) to learn, but learning how to do anything complex with it is kinda hard; the intermediate steps are fraught with difficulty.

DM is actually easy to learn, easy to master. It's actually amazing how quickly a person can get started on the simpler parts of the language, build a semi-working game, and then begin to add in intermediate-level code. I found in the course of my early project that BYOND has lots of powerful features that are fairly easy to figure out from the help--and with a little help from people on the forum who can explain some of the subtle nuances.

One of the things that's amazed me most in BYOND is that even people whose code appears to be slipshod if not totally screwed up can still make a working game. Even lousy programmers can put out good work in BYOND. (Of course, they're likely to run into a hundred bugs along the way.) The same can't be said of many other languages.

Lummox JR
DrakeHawkins wrote:

There will be a slight learning curve for you as you're introduced to the fundamentals of programming, but otherwise you shouldn't have much trouble beyond what anyone else would have. Most of programming is about being able to logically work through the steps of a problem, and write out those steps in a way the computer will understand. Only a small part involves learning or mastering a given language.

I think you'll find DM quite easy to learn--or at least more so than most (if not all) other languages. There are also lots of people on the forums willing to help.

One thing I would suggest is that you don't immediately start work on the RPG. Create a small test world where you can practice by writing code for simple tasks--like picking up and dropping objects, for example. Once you've gotten the hang of the programming part, you'll find it a lot easier to get started on your RPG and you'll probably save yourself quite a bit of work and debugging time.

Once you feel you're catching on to the programming, and understand the simple stuff, I recommend subscribing to BYONDscape, where you'll find a wealth of very useful articles (and libraries) that will help you as you plan out your RPG.

Lummox JR
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
Especially in the form of knowing the general feel of this sort of programming... With knowledge in BYOND...you learn how these types of languages work... It's not so much the actual form or layout or structure or anything like that... It's more of the underlying "physics" of the programming itself...

I agree wholeheartedly. Before BYOND, I'd spent a good deal of time reading up on Java and C++, and I understood the basic ideas of object-orientation, except I didn't really understand them. Working with BYOND has given me a sense of object-oriented design that I can apply to "business" languages like Java and Python.
I am currently in the process of writing a tutorial called Programming for the Non-Programmer, but by the time it is done you probably wont need it anymore, lol.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
I am currently in the process of writing a tutorial called Programming for the Non-Programmer, but by the time it is done you probably wont need it anymore, lol.

Actually, a more manipulative person might poll DrakeHawkins while the prey is fresh to see what other things could be included in the tutorial.