ID:178807

I am trying to do something that seemed simple at first but after 30 minutes of attempts I can not get anything that works. I have a verb that will only function if the player is 4 tiles away from a set location. The code will randomly pick a location point and assign it to a variable. Then when a player clicks on the verb it will compare the location variable and the users location and see if they are within 4 tiles. Can anyone point me to a proc or a domcument that would give me some tips?

Thanks
Shwn

Shwn wrote:
I am trying to do something that seemed simple at first but after 30 minutes of attempts I can not get anything that works. I have a verb that will only function if the player is 4 tiles away from a set location. The code will randomly pick a location point and assign it to a variable. Then when a player clicks on the verb it will compare the location variable and the users location and see if they are within 4 tiles. Can anyone point me to a proc or a domcument that would give me some tips?

Um... I'm really not sure I follow what you're saying, here. Let me see if I have this straight:

There is a particular turf (T) on the map. The player may use a certain verb only if they are within 4 tiles of T. You want to know how to restrict the verb to only work within 4 tiles' distance from T.

Is that correct?

If that's the case, what you probably have to do is this:
turf/special
verb/DoSomething()
set src in oview(4)

If you want this to be controlled by a var that turns on, you could (I think) do this:
turf/special
var/active=0

proc/DoSomething()
set src in oview(4)

proc/TurnOn()
if(active) return
active=1
verbs+=/turf/special/proc/DoSomething

proc/TurnOff()
if(!active) return
active=0
verbs-=/turf/special/proc/DoSomething

I believe that should work, but I haven't tested it.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I don't care about the turf as much as the location. I want to avoid having special turf icons and I don't want to use areas. I am trying to write some treasure hunting code. When a map is created it is tagged with a random location on the map and placed in a variable lets say its called maplocation. There is a verb called dig, that verb will allow you to dig only if you are within 4 tiles of the location in maplocation otherwise it will return a string of "You dig and find nothing". So anytime the player clicks on the dig verb it will check the players current location with the location in maplocation and determine if it is 4 tiles away.

So what I am looking for is the bit of logic that takes a location such as 3,16,1 and compares it to the current player location to deciede if is is within 4 tiles.

In response to Shwn
Shwn wrote:
I don't care about the turf as much as the location. I want to avoid having special turf icons and I don't want to use areas. I am trying to write some treasure hunting code. When a map is created it is tagged with a random location on the map and placed in a variable lets say its called maplocation. There is a verb called dig, that verb will allow you to dig only if you are within 4 tiles of the location in maplocation otherwise it will return a string of "You dig and find nothing". So anytime the player clicks on the dig verb it will check the players current location with the location in maplocation and determine if it is 4 tiles away.

Aha. That is rather different, then.
Try something like this:
var/turf/X   // marks the spot

mob
var/digging=0

Move()
if(digging) return 0
return ..()

turf
verb/Dig()
set src in oview(0)
if(icon_state=="hole")
usr << "There's already a hole here."
return
usr.digging=1
hearers() << sound('dig.wav')
sleep(20)
icon_state="hole"
usr.digging=0
if(!X || get_dist(src,X)>4)
usr << "You dig and find nothing."
return
var/d=get_dist(src,X)
if(d>0)
var/list/close=list("almost at the spot","very close","close","getting close")
usr << "The earth has been disturbed here. You seem to be [close[d]]."
else
TreasureFound(usr)

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
This is sort of what I have been trying, with no success.
I am a bit confused about the get_dist proc, it wants 2 arguments get_dist(Loc1,Loc2). What is Loc1 and Loc2?
Are they locations on the map such as 3,12,1 or are they objects? In your code I do not understand where the random location is set.

This is what I was trying
dig()
if (get_dist(src,usr.maplocation)<=4)

With usr.maplocation set with a location on the map. To test I use 3,16,1 but that seems unimportant. This code fails even if you are standing in location 3,16,1 on the map.
In response to Shwn
Shwn wrote:
This is sort of what I have been trying, with no success.
I am a bit confused about the get_dist proc, it wants 2 arguments get_dist(Loc1,Loc2). What is Loc1 and Loc2?
Are they locations on the map such as 3,12,1 or are they objects? In your code I do not understand where the random location is set.

A location on the map, as returned by locate(), would be a turf. In the case of get_dist, Loc1 and Loc2 are both atoms. An atom can be a turf, mob, obj, or area (though I'm not sure if or how get_dist() works with areas.)

dig()

With usr.maplocation set with a location on the map. To test I use 3,16,1 but that seems unimportant. This code fails even if you are standing in location 3,16,1 on the map.

How are you setting usr.maplocation? Is it set using locate(3,16,1)?
Assuming this is correct, I'd check your indentation under that if(). I don't know if the ... you put in is indented the same as the code in your actual verb, but if it is, then it needs to be indented further. (Otherwise the if() does nothing.)

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Shwn wrote:
dig()

How are you setting usr.maplocation? Is it set using locate(3,16,1)?
Assuming this is correct, I'd check your indentation under that if(). I don't know if the ... you put in is indented the same as the code in your actual verb, but if it is, then it needs to be indented further. (Otherwise the if() does nothing.)

Is there a reason to have a variable called maplocation when the user's location can already be determined? Try this:

dig()
if (get_dist(src, usr)<=4)
In response to Skysaw
Skysaw wrote:
Is there a reason to have a variable called maplocation when the user's location can already be determined?

He's using usr.maplocation to point to the location of buried treasure. In the example code I posted, I made this a global variable--which is a little more consistent with multiplayer play.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Skysaw wrote:
Is there a reason to have a variable called maplocation when the user's location can already be determined?

He's using usr.maplocation to point to the location of buried treasure. In the example code I posted, I made this a global variable--which is a little more consistent with multiplayer play.

Lummox JR

Sorry, I guess I was too lazy to read the whole thread. I skip ahead in novels too.

I'm still wondering why that location would be a usr variable though...
In response to Lummox JR
The problem was I was not setting my maplocation var correcly. Thanks for all your help.
Shwn