ID:178819

What exactly does this do and what would happen if I deleted it?

That question has been in my head for alittle bit and I need to know an answer because my ".rsc" files in my projects are always large for some reason and its quite weird :-\

So could someone help me out alittle and explain what it is exactly and what would happen if it was deleted.

Lee
They're resource files. It contains all the information about your game's resources stored inside. If you delete one it will recreate a new one when you recompile.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
They're resource files. It contains all the information about your game's resources stored inside. If you delete one it will recreate a new one when you recompile.

Ok, thanks Nadrew. Now I know what it is and that it isnt dangerous to be deleted its made me alittle bit happier as I am gonna delete it now and see if the new one is smaller :-D

Lee
In response to Mellifluous
Actually if u want to lower the size, try the following.

Code - less code, optimize all you can.
Graphics - smaller sizes, lower hues, use PNG, reuse icons
Sound - Convert your sound files to 11,000-16bit-mono
Music - Shortern the songs so they loop.

You can try any combo of these and it will lower your rsc file size. For ex: In Star Traders it used to be over a 2meg download during its mid-alpha development, code was under 100k too. My 3D planetary pics where done in BMP and were huge! So I converted them all to PNG, and even then I reduced the file colors down to 256, and compressed it more. So then the download was within the 900k range. Now since the code size alone is reaching 300k, and I'm adding in sound files its getting back up to that 2megs. But thats better than a 3-4meg download!

LJR
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:
Actually if u want to lower the size, try the following.

Code - less code, optimize all you can.
Graphics - smaller sizes, lower hues, use PNG, reuse icons
Sound - Convert your sound files to 11,000-16bit-mono
Music - Shortern the songs so they loop.

You can try any combo of these and it will lower your rsc file size. For ex: In Star Traders it used to be over a 2meg download during its mid-alpha development, code was under 100k too. My 3D planetary pics where done in BMP and were huge! So I converted them all to PNG, and even then I reduced the file colors down to 256, and compressed it more. So then the download was within the 900k range. Now since the code size alone is reaching 300k, and I'm adding in sound files its getting back up to that 2megs. But thats better than a 3-4meg download!

LJR

Heh...

Well actually my .rsc file now is: 546Kb ^_^

Thats from a hefty 2,344kb hehe.

How it was that big I have no idea as my icons are small and I use no images like .pngs and .bpms and .jpgs

My coding files altogether are only: 30kb

lol

Anyway thanks for your tip too LJR, its really appreciated :)

Lee
In response to LordJR
LordJR wrote:

Considering the planetary pics aren't even used except when you land on a planet, why not set up a dynamic download system for those? That would improve matters a lot.

Lummox JR