ID:178825

i cannot figure out how to use the MouseDrag proc correctly. i would explain how i am trying to get it to work but it is probably as close from the way it is supposed to be as it could get, lol, so ill spare u the need to laugh and not show it. so what i am asking is if anyone could just quickly explain how u use it correctly. the help doesnt seem to help on this one. thx to anyone with the time to answer.
Loduwijk wrote:
i cannot figure out how to use the MouseDrag proc correctly. i would explain how i am trying to get it to work but it is probably as close from the way it is supposed to be as it could get, lol, so ill spare u the need to laugh and not show it. so what i am asking is if anyone could just quickly explain how u use it correctly. the help doesnt seem to help on this one. thx to anyone with the time to answer.

I'm not sure you mean by "use it correctly". What do you want to use it correctly for? I can answer that one. =)
In response to Spuzzum
i mean how do i make something happen when i move a certain thing from one place to another. i have something in mind but i try to be vague in my descriptions because i prefur it when i dont just get code for it unless that is the only way someone will help me. i like to learn how to use a proc then figure out how to implement it myself. but anywho, i wanted it to do something when i drag an obj from a statpanel to the map. this is the code i said would probly look stupid if i showed it:

MouseDrag(obj/O as obj in src,,/mob/Stat/statpanel("Items"),istype(/turf))
(actions to take place when an obj is dragged from the statpanel to the map go here)

(waiting for the laughter to end...) did i get it even close?
In response to Loduwijk
Ah.

obj/MouseDrag(atom/over_object, source_location, dest_location)
if(!over_object)
usr << "I am not above any object on the map."
else
usr << "I am above [over_object] on the map."

usr << "I came from [source_location]."

usr << "I am currently over [dest_location]."

Try dragging an obj around and see the output it gives you.
In response to Spuzzum
thank you, i am studying that lil example u gave, and observing what it does, and it is making more sence now, i am going to try to make it do something useful in my game and hopefully i will succeed this time :)
In response to Spuzzum
that example only lets me drag obj, which is what i wanted to drag, but i had ideas needing other things to be dragged later on, is it possible to drag other things? i dont see how i would get it to do so
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
that example only lets me drag obj, which is what i wanted to drag, but i had ideas needing other things to be dragged later on, is it possible to drag other things? i dont see how i would get it to do so

Yep, you can drag mobs and turfs in the same fashion.

Just remember that you can't move turfs, so dragging turfs might seem a little odd to some people. =)
In response to Spuzzum
dragging turfs may seem odd, but i had some ideas that required that, ill just have to make some obj that look like turfs. thx a lot for the help, it has taken away this headache i have had for half a week now.
In response to Spuzzum
one more Q about it (i say one more now, but later ill probly have another, but ill save Q's after this one till a later date). i tried to get something to happen when an obj was dragged over a certain turf. i practiced like this to see if i could do it:

if(dest_location==source_location)usr<<"It's where it came from."
else usr<<"It's not where it came from."
if(dest_location==istype(/turf/ground/floor/ cobbled_floor))usr<<"It is on the hard floor."
if(dest_location==istype(/turf/ground/floor/ red_carpet))usr<<"It is on the cumfy rug."

i tried if(dest_location=="cobbled floor") before i tried if(dest_location==istype(/turf/ground/floor/cobbled_floor)) but niether worked. how do i get it to do different things based on what it is over?
In response to Loduwijk
ignore this, i misread what u said, i thought u said u cant do it with mob and turf, then i reread it and saw i was mistaken
In response to Loduwijk
lol, that was so stupid of me. i said it only let me drag obj. i went and looked and it was in the obj branch. that might be why, lol. umm... i think i should stop rambling on, this thread has about 10 posts and about 7 of them are mine. i think i talked a bit too much
In response to Loduwijk
if(dest_location==istype(/turf/ground/floor/ cobbled_floor))usr<<"It is on the hard floor."
if(dest_location==istype(/turf/ground/floor/ red_carpet))usr<<"It is on the cumfy rug."

Close:

if(istype(dest_location, /turf/ground/floor/cobbled_floor))
usr << "It is on the hard floor."
else if(istype(dest_location, /turf/ground/floor/red_carpet))
usr << "It is on the comfy rug."

(Remember that it'd be best not to copy-and-paste that, since it's not out to the proper indentation (and it uses spaces instead of tabs anyway).)