ID:178870

I just finished coding several procs for random monster encounters. The code compiles and works fine (even in game), but the program crashes during about one out of every three battles. I can't imagine that BYOND puts that much strain on a 1GHz processor with 256MHz of RAM, but maybe I'm wrong. Each of the monsters (usually five or so) has a random movement/seek-and-destroy proc, but I've handled much more than five at a time before. Has anyone else encountered similar problems, and if so, what can I do about it?
Gakumerasara wrote:
I just finished coding several procs for random monster encounters. The code compiles and works fine (even in game), but the program crashes during about one out of every three battles. I can't imagine that BYOND puts that much strain on a 1GHz processor with 256MHz of RAM, but maybe I'm wrong. Each of the monsters (usually five or so) has a random movement/seek-and-destroy proc, but I've handled much more than five at a time before. Has anyone else encountered similar problems, and if so, what can I do about it?

Are you running the same proc from within a proc?

Eg.

mob/proc/DoThis()
DoThis()
DoThis()

That'll throw you into "infinite recursion", which can crash Dream Seeker if you have world.loop_checks off.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
Are you running the same proc from within a proc?

Eg.

mob/proc/DoThis()
DoThis()
DoThis()

That'll throw you into "infinite recursion", which can crash Dream Seeker if you have world.loop_checks off.

I have one proc that does something like this:

mob/proc/DoThis()
[code]
spawn(some_time)
DoThis()

I have world.loop_checks on, and while I did get warnings about endless loops last night, I have taken care of the problems. The code itself seems to work fine, but the program dies anyway.
In response to Gakumerasara
Make sure some_time is always >= 1. It has changed recently so if the time you put in it will round to 0 there is no delay at all. Before it acted as if it were a one.
In response to English
I think I've figured out where the problem is . . . the program works fine when I don't use these two lines of code; seems kind of strange

for(var/mob/N in M.party)
walk(N,0)
In response to Gakumerasara
That is odd...
That should just stop the walking of every mob in M.party right? Well, at least it's working now.