ID:178971

I'm still working through the tutorials, so I'm not going to ask for any specific help yet, but does anyone know of any RTS games that have been made with Byond? I'm planning to make an RTS game at some point, and I'd really like to see one that has been done already just for an idea of what the engine can do with that genre.

Perhaps it isn't possible, but the main page does mention strategy games, so I'm holding out hope...
DrugCraft comes to mind which Ebonshadow has made, but hasn't released. (to my knowledge) I can't think of any others at the moment.
Aegis wrote:
I'm still working through the tutorials, so I'm not going to ask for any specific help yet, but does anyone know of any RTS games that have been made with Byond? I'm planning to make an RTS game at some point, and I'd really like to see one that has been done already just for an idea of what the engine can do with that genre.

Perhaps it isn't possible, but the main page does mention strategy games, so I'm holding out hope...

It is possible, but hasn't been done yet.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
It is possible, but hasn't been done yet.

It sure has!

Ebonshadow made DrugCraft, which was hilariously fun while it lasted, and Jon Snow is making A Game of Kings, which is a cool RTS-action game.

And I might start work on a RTS any day now. ;)
In response to Vortezz
Well BYOND's code is WAY too unstable for me to make a math-heavy RTS game with... If it can't correctly process a simple input() command 100% of the time, I can only emagine what it'd do with pages of math... But hey, if you think you can do it, go for it.
In response to Dreq
Dreq wrote:
Well BYOND's code is WAY too unstable for me to make a math-heavy RTS game with... If it can't correctly process a simple input() command 100% of the time, I can only emagine what it'd do with pages of math... But hey, if you think you can do it, go for it.

Frankly Dreq, but I'm getting a little tired of posts like this from you. If you find an example of problems in our code, just tell us and give us reproducible examples so we can fix them. Subtle complaints like this get us nowhere. So far the stuff you've sent in to us have always revealed, after much research, problems in your code, so pardon me if I don't take your comments at face value.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Dreq wrote:

Frankly Dreq, but I'm getting a little tired of posts like this from you. If you find an example of problems in our code, just tell us and give us reproducible examples so we can fix them. Subtle complaints like this get us nowhere. So far the stuff you've sent in to us have always revealed, after much research, problems in your code, so pardon me if I don't take your comments at face value.

I agree. Not to mention that he's wrong. I managed to make to an RTS system that worked exceedingly well except it became laggy when I added a better path selection system, but I am sure I could easily fix this on my end. I believe that BYOND is only as good as the coder. In the hands of Dreq, I imagine BYOND is a pretty useless.
In response to Ebonshadow
Ebonshadow wrote:
I agree. Not to mention that he's wrong. I managed to make to an RTS system that worked exceedingly well except it became laggy when I added a better path selection system, but I am sure I could easily fix this on my end. I believe that BYOND is only as good as the coder. In the hands of Dreq, I imagine BYOND is a pretty useless.

Oh really? Is that why I have people IMing me and paging me asking when RZ is comming back online because it's cool?...

Excuse me for being a little edgy when code that worked before suddenly becomes full of RTEs when I upgrade without changing any code, forcing me to go over it and make what I call a 'version revision' to make it work :)

I have given up on the input list as for the past week I have not been able to get it to work. I will try making the shops browser-based, and if all else fails, I'll simply place un'pick-up'able objects on the ground which you'll be able to see the price of, and buy...

Besides I'm not the only one who has errors in their code, even microsoft releases patches days after releasing programs :)
In response to Dreq
Dreq wrote:
Excuse me for being a little edgy when code that worked before suddenly becomes full of RTEs when I upgrade without changing any code, forcing me to go over it and make what I call a 'version revision' to make it work :)

Yes, recent releases started reporting more problems IN YOUR CODE to help you debug them easier. The problems were always there, BYOND now just tells you more about them.
In response to Deadron
Reporting them is one thing, making it no longer work is another ;) Besides RZ is the first and ONLY game i've worked on in byond, so the base of it's code was laid while i was still very much a newbie, making it much harder to fix these new RTEs, but I am slowly but surely fixing them ;)
In response to Dreq
Dreq wrote:
Reporting them is one thing, making it no longer work is another ;) Besides RZ is the first and ONLY game i've worked on in byond, so the base of it's code was laid while i was still very much a newbie, making it much harder to fix these new RTEs, but I am slowly but surely fixing them ;)

In other words, your claim that BYOND is unstable is based on your unstable newbie code.

It's sort of like having a 20 year old car with bad shocks that vibrates on the road, and blaming the road for it.
That was pretty rude. I have not seen a lot of Dreq's work, but I have seen a little of it and I did not get the impression that he dosn't know what he is doing. Ebonshadow, I thought you had more common sense then to post such blatently rude comments.

-Lord of Water
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
That was pretty rude. I have not seen a lot of Dreq's work, but I have seen a little of it and I did not get the impression that he dosn't know what he is doing. Ebonshadow, I thought you had more common sense then to post such blatently rude comments.

-Lord of Water

I was simply defending BYOND's reputation. I am sorry, but BYOND is not as bad as he makes it sound. If you agree with his comments that are just as blatently rude, except for directed at years of hard work, I believe that my blatently rude comment should also apply to you.
I'm with Ebonshadow on this one. Dreq complains about alot of bugs and 9 out of 10 are problems with HIS code. Meaning Ebon's comment is very true about his code being bad not useless but bad.
Sorry, Ebon. I misjudged your reply, in this case. Please accept my appology.
In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
Sorry, Ebon. I misjudged your reply, in this case. Please accept my appology.

No problem man. Besides I wasn't trying to be rude. I am just saying that if you underestimate BYOND to that point, you must not know too much about BYOND.
In response to Deadron
Yeah, damn that road!
In response to Dreq
The only update that messed up my programs was when they changed the default start position from (maxx,maxy,maxz) to (1,1,1) and that only messed up one program. That was my fault though, I should have had my own placement code because I was changing client.eye and that doesn't like getting placed off the edge of the map :p

P.S. I do like (1,1,1) better, it makes testing incomplete projects easier, I rarely want to start at the top right corner.
In response to English
Well it's the equivilent of like one day you run your virus scanner (like you have for the past month w/o updating) and it suddenly tells you you have all these viruses on your comp... ;) It's all good though
In response to Dreq
Well thats all wel; and good, and I agree that Byond doesnt diserve to be bagged by Dreq like that, I find it strang that you couldnt manage to make a shop from an imput list.
Heres a shortened example of one i use.

mob/NPCs
Alchemist
icon = 'shopkeeper2.dmi'
name = "Alchemist"
verb
Buy()
set category = "General"
set src in view(3)
var/tmp/mob/P = input("buy what?", "Alchemists") as null|anything in list("Healing Potion (25gp)","Mana Potion (25gp)")
if(P == "Healing Potion (25gp)")
if(usr.GP >= 25)
usr.GP -= 25
new/obj/Potions/Healing(usr)
usr << "Thanks, come again."
else usr << "You dont have enough money!"
if(P == "Mana Potion (25gp)")
if(usr.GP >= 25)
usr.GP -= 25
new/obj/Potions/Mana(usr)
usr << "Thanks, come again."
else usr << "You dont have enough money!"