ID:1789841

So... I've been dicking around in paint the last few months while thinking over the reasons for my departure. Thanks to a long heart to heart with Tom (In which I'll admit I was significantly less kind with Tom than he deserved.) I've come around. Looks like it's been painfully boring around here since I bailed.

Here's some neat stuff to look at and criticize.

The gif second from the top and the last three are really nice.

Welcome back.
I appreciate it. Honestly, I wasn't much too happy with the four you liked. That's why there's not much more of them in the style.

Welcome back and awesome art as always :)
Very nice! I especially like the village mock-up.
Love the town and the little guy at the bottom. I really like the dungeon with the lighting, though I don't know about the naked guy. Seems a bit odd to me. Oh, and welcome back :)
I appreciate it... Now if I could just find something I actually wanted to make.
Sick arts, bro!

Hey, since you were gone Chance (Writing a New One) and I started up a game we hope to release soon as a commercially-viable and polished MMO.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/severed-world

https://www.facebook.com/severedworldmmorpg?fref=photo
I've actually been watching the two of you. It looks phenomenal. Keep up the good work, man. I think you guys are going places.
In response to Ter13

Those characters are awesome. *.*
Oh wow amazing art!
Love the turfs. If you don't want to work on any particular project, maybe consider just making sets of 32x32 turfs and releasing them as open source art resources? Would help to replace some of the RPGMaker turf abuse around here at least.
^ Indeed.
Can I hire you for a non BYOND game? I really like the style of your second image.

Page me if you're interested + prices.
I love the lighting in your dungeon...castle...thing. Could you direct me to a library that can match that sort of lighting? Or would I be better off using transparent sprites??

^This is the lighting sprite I made.

New()
. = ..()
animate(src,transform=matrix(1,0,0,0,1,0),alpha=40,loop=-1,time=2)
animate(transform=matrix(0.8,0,0,0,0.8,0),alpha=24,time=2)

^This is how I made it flicker.

These are the settings I used to get the lighting to look right:

blend_mode = BLEND_ADD
color = "#639BFF"
layer = 1.999

My tiles are divided into two categories: Foreground and background.

Background tiles have a layer of 1. Foreground tiles have a layer of 2. Lighting in my system only shows up beneath foreground tiles, so it doesn't actually effect players, objects, etc. Just the background for the levels.

Anywhere that there's a light source, I just plop down a lighting object in the same tile. That's all there is to it. It's really simple.

Now, I did do some experiments with another type of lighting, which didn't really work out that well because of BYOND's limitations:

This one's a bit more complex, but it's actually relatively fast. The only problem is that it doesn't play nice with certain peoples' computers due to the ubiquity of BYOND bugs surrounding BYOND's rendering, and as you can see in the video, due to the hacky way I implemented it, Lummox and Tom would never have any interest in making this kind of thing easier to do in DreamSeeker. Their focus is on the webclient, so this remains as nothing more than a silly proof of concept.
In response to Ter13
Oh sweet that'll be good for the horror aspects of my game.

But question. Is animating like that efficient? Or not enough to worry. Or is it like everything good as long as it's not animation in the background

Edit: actually to be general is animate efficient. I'm scared of using anything that has stuff animating crazily. I know other games have it but I just need some knowledge
Animations are no reason to worry, CPU-wise.
Okay thank you, the Lightning does look good thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Thank you Ter13. I am going to play around with the lighting pixel art and code you provided; Would you mind if I used what you contributed in my ongoing project?
Page: 1 2