ID:178996

I've noticed that you oldbies get annoyed when someone asks for code. why don't you just tell them the proc to handle it (such as "if()" ) rather than telling them the whole code (such as "if(a=b)", then let them read the help file to figure it out...It may cut down on the annoyances when they figure out that asking for code won't help. This could also help to weed out those not serious about programming.

To the Newbies: Are you on DM? If you are, is the help file open? If it's not, shame on you!
Airson wrote:
I've noticed that you oldbies get annoyed when someone asks for code. why don't you just tell them the proc to handle it (such as "if()" ) rather than telling them the whole code (such as "if(a=b)", then let them read the help file to figure it out...

That's the thing... if we do do that, then they come back complaining that it's "not there". I guess the only thing to do is ignore people who don't care and only want "the code".

That's why I don't post on the forums much anymore: everyone wants "the code". Everybody who is worth helping can actually fix their problems themselves.
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
Airson wrote:
I've noticed that you oldbies get annoyed when someone asks for code. why don't you just tell them the proc to handle it (such as "if()" ) rather than telling them the whole code (such as "if(a=b)", then let them read the help file to figure it out...

That's the thing... if we do do that, then they come back complaining that it's "not there". I guess the only thing to do is ignore people who don't care and only want "the code".

That's why I don't post on the forums much anymore: everyone wants "the code". Everybody who is worth helping can actually fix their problems themselves.

Yeah it hasn't always been like that. It's just the wave of non-experienced programmers trying their hand at byond. I wouldn't count on it being like this after byond goes public.
Airson wrote:
I've noticed that you oldbies get annoyed when someone asks for code. why don't you just tell them the proc to handle it (such as "if()" ) rather than telling them the whole code (such as "if(a=b)", then let them read the help file to figure it out...It may cut down on the annoyances when they figure out that asking for code won't help. This could also help to weed out those not serious about programming.

Actually lots of people do this; sometimes they'll give a snippet of code, sometimes just point someone on the way to a proc that will help. (The people most likely to benefit from any advice only need to know a few procs to get started.) It tends to depend on the person asking as well as the person who's offering to help.

What tends to annoy people the most is not so much when anyone asks for code, but when they ask for "a code" or "the code"; either way of saying it indicates they don't even understand what the word means, and if they don't understand that they're kind of a lost cause to begin with. I don't know how anyone could get this impression--though it seems to be common among some newbies and particularly the DBZer crowd--but it seems that some of them think that for everything they might want to do in their game, there is an existing, free segment of code that will plug right into their work without adaptation. In some cases there are such pieces of code, but they're called libraries and they don't usually do what the newbies are looking for.

Lummox JR
In response to Ebonshadow
Ebonshadow wrote:

I wouldn't count on it being like this after byond goes
public.

Oh, I don't know... I think that we may get a small flood of the current generation of kids who want to be programmers without going through the process of learning, experimenting, and development. Not just DBZ fans, but anyone who wants to make a fan-game (like a Tolkien- or StarWars-game).

As long as we are patient *and* supporting, but without giving the requester the answer completely (odds are that any submissions would not do exactly what they want anyway), we may be able to come out ahead with a large group of 'true' developers...

Only time will tell...
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Oh, I don't know... I think that we may get a small flood of the current generation of kids who want to be programmers without going through the process of learning, experimenting, and development. Not just DBZ fans, but anyone who wants to make a fan-game (like a Tolkien- or StarWars-game).

From my perspective, the important thing is filtering requests to find people who are:

- Mature and capable of quickly adding important value to the BYOND community (Zilal, ShadowDarke, Lummox, all DDT members of course!, etc) and making sure they get good answers to questions so that they stick around and become part of the community.

- Immature but capable of growth. Out of propriety I won't name names, but probably half of the useful community now started out as snot-nosed kids, but unlike the other snot-nosed kids, took us seriously when we gave them constructive feedback and became real contributors. I have a lot of respect for these people.

- Those incapable of contributing, ever. These people I don't waste time on.

As we go public, hopefully we'll slowly gain more and more of the first two groups. Just the last year has shown the immense value these people can provide:

- Tanks
- My Life As a Spy
- Runica
- Incursion
- Echelon

All excellent, professional-level games that make us more likely to attract good people in the future. (Hopefully DragonSnot and Birdland won't hurt the cause either!)
In response to Lummox JR
First off, im sorry to bring back old topics =P but this one caught my eye.

Lummox JR wrote:
Airson wrote:

I dont know about other people but i learn from example. Some times i will ask for code but i perfer to know what i need to look up. I get confused by that help file O.o

What tends to annoy people the most is not so much when anyone asks for code, but when they ask for "a code" or "the code"; either way of saying it indicates they don't even understand what the word means, and if they don't understand that they're kind of a lost cause to begin with. I don't know how anyone could get this impression--though it seems to be common among some newbies and particularly the DBZer crowd

Im hoping by the DBZer crowd you mean the people who make the games. I am guilty of helping a few people who were making dbz games before i realized how much dbz is disliked here, hence why my name is dbz73. I dont like it when people say stuff like the dbz crowd. Not all people who have dbz names are bad. They just get a bad reputation from the other "DBZers.

Lummox JR

Deadron wrote:

- Immature but capable of growth. Out of propriety I won't name names, but probably half of the useful community now started out as snot-nosed kids, but unlike the other snot-nosed kids, took us seriously when we gave them constructive feedback and became real contributors. I have a lot of respect for these people.

I probly would fit under here. I remember when i fist got here i wanted everything on a silver platter so to speak... although i dont really do much to contribute. I do help people once and a while when i can.
In response to Deadron
And of course, people willing to spend money are always nice to have around too.