ID:178997

I've already posted this question, and i'm posting it again, because if I don't get an answer, I may as well just stop this project.

Ok, I have absolutely no idea how I could do the following-
In a persistent world, a race between players will be held every 10-20 minutes. How can I let players join, then at the end of the wait, the race begins? I would need a list of players and their stats. Is this possible for a newbie to do?

If you don't feel like responding, just post something saying you don't so I'll know someone took their time to look at my posts...
Look looked at it. First thing though I found the all-caps topic to be irritating, which set me in a "don't respond with anything useful" mood. However, at first glance I'd say you need to use a for() loop triggered at world/New().

Oh yes, and reading "plz" drives me up the wall. If you want help, show that you're willing to put some effort out, type a proper "please".
In response to Foomer
well after codin for a whole day, just to learn that your awesome idea for a game may never see an actual beta-test can make people do desperate things.
In response to Airson
Try working on it for eight months then realizing it isn't working. :oP
Airson wrote:
Ok, I have absolutely no idea how I could do the following-
In a persistent world, a race between players will be held every 10-20 minutes. How can I let players join, then at the end of the wait, the race begins? I would need a list of players and their stats. Is this possible for a newbie to do?

Foomer's right: What you're going to want to do is to create something during the world's startup that will start up a loop with a timer. That will handle starting the races. You can call something in world.New() or you can create an obj on the map for this.

For players joining and leaving the race, you just need a list. However, this can be difficult to maintain because players logging you would have to update the list when a player logged out. Instead, I'd create a starting area for the race; this area would react to players entering and leaving, so it could manage the list for you just by using the Entered() and Exited() procs. Players can join the race implicitly by entering the starting box.

Lummox JR
In response to Foomer
I think th easiest way to do it would be to have a judge obj (as was suggested) and have a global object pointer for it. Then when you create the object (or the world) link it to the global.

Then you can have a Join verb that adds the player to a list that the judge object has. Once the length of that list is greater than the minimum number of racers have the judge put people in their cars (or whatever) then start the countdown.

Of course this could be a mob too, it doesn't really matter.

I'm a little biased against area's for some reason. I seem to avoid using them. I suppose it's because I've never had to incorporate music before or room entering messages where areas would be the best way to handle them.
In response to Airson
Airson wrote:
well after codin for a whole day, just to learn that your
awesome idea for a game may never see an actual beta-test
can make people do desperate things.

1) 'after coding for a whole day' will not make a game out of an 'awesome idea' - 30 years of computer gaming has proven that proper development takes time - at the least, you should expect weeks or months of development depending on the level of experience and the amount of time used each day... games like Warcraft and Starcraft (the closest genre to what BYOND is capable of) usually take a year or more of proper development.

2) 'desperation' is no excuse for laziness in spelling, in my opinion. If I want to post something important, I want to do my best to take the time to communicate clearly my request...

To twist the knife a little deeper: if one is too lazy to write complete, coherent, readable sentences, then they may be too lazy to take the time to learn how to accomplish their goals...in the case of BYOND, the majority of what people want to do already exists in a library or tutorial or in this forum - one just needs to take the time to do the research...
In response to Foomer
oh give him a break he actually takes the time to figure out what hes doing and then tries to help himself before he asks anything... type however you want Airson.
In response to Canar
Generally 'Great game ideas' dont mean squat :p I've seen many people with 'great game ideas' that never release one thing. For one, they never write down what their idea was, so by the time they are ready to work on it, they loose their way and end up making an exact copy of another game. Besides, if I had to throw away one-day's worth of coding, I wouldn't sweat it.