ID:179000

ok....i'm tryin to do this right, i want to make it so when some one hit's someone everyone see's it a certain way, so far i have:

obj/sword1
name = "Small Sword"
verb/slash(M as mob)
src << "You slash [M] swiftly."
M << "[src] slashes you."

i want to make it so the person slashing see's it a certain way, so the mob getting slashed see's it a certain way, and so everyone else see's it a certain way, but i don't want the mob or src to see it the way everyone else see's it, can some one please help me here?
Just a question, why would you want to do it that way? Give us a better example ^_^
In response to Dreq
Dreq wrote:
Just a question, why would you want to do it that way? Give us a better example ^_^

It's a common MUD method. Other than not showing what outsiders would see, that was a perfect example. The perspective tends to be "second" person. If you are the offender or defender, you should see a message addressed to "you". If you are not involved, you just see the names.

I'll speak out of my butt and offer an approach. I have not tried this myself, but some variation of this idea should work...

The view() and range() family of procs return a list. Choose the offender or defender as a reference. Subtract the defender and/or offender from the list. The list should now contain things within the chosen range which do not include the offender or defender. Send the things in the list the third person message.
obj/sword1
name = "Small Sword"
verb/slash(M as mob)
src << "You slash [M] swiftly."
M << "[src] slashes you."
oview() - M << "[src] slashes [M]!"

That usually works.