ID:179013

Good day everyone,
I used BYOND for windows, but it would be good if I could use it under linux too.
Yet I have problems.
Compilation process seems to be OK, but when I run DreamDeamon (just to test) I get error msg:
"error in loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
I'm using "Linux Mandrake 7.1".
I'm not good at linux, so could anyone help me please ?

Thank you in advance.

Kestutis
Kestutis wrote:
"error in loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Hmm. Do you have the file /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 on your system? If not, are there other files in /usr/lib with similar names (maybe different numbers)? Also, what do you get when you do "ldd /usr/local/byond/bin/DreamMaker" (or wherever you installed BYOND) and repeat for DreamDaemon and DreamSeeker?

You may have an older version of the C++ library than what BYOND was compiled with. If that's the case, you'll have to upgrade that library (and any of its dependencies). If you're a real newbie, this may be more hassle than it's worth (I have no direct experience with Mandrake, so I'm not sure how easy or difficult it may be).

If you want to give it a shot, probably the latest C++ library for Mandrake is at http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/cooker/cooker/i586/Mandrake/ RPMS/libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.76mdk.i586.html

However, that's probably for Mandrake 8.1, so it may not be compatible with your system (or it may ask you to upgrade a bunch of other things too). In this case, your best bet may be to install a newer version of Mandrake altogether instead of trying to upgrade parts of it. Depends on how messy that gets, really.
In response to Air Mapster
Good day.

Excelent answer Air Mapster ! Thank you alot.
I currently menaged to run BYOND under linux, but I was greatly dissapointed... BYOND linux version is nearly unusable. Everthing runs only in text mode and with least features...
If anyone here in this forum is considering moving to linux with BYOND, I would recomend to think twice.
Personaly I can't use BYOND under linux in it's current state (FreeBSD BYOND version is preaty same as linux).
Seems real usage of BYOND can be achieved only under Win9x.
Sad...

Kestutis
In response to Kestutis
Well not really. They must get the windows version working before linux, otherwise things would be much more complicated. It's pretty nice programming in linux so that would be the only reason I could think for the crappy linux support. Just hold your breath, cross your fingers, and hope windows doesn't freeze when you click the save button to save hours of work ^_^ (thta's happened before in another proggy language).
In response to Dreq
Good day,
I did not wanted to say that Dantom screwed-up or something bad like that. I wanted to warn others to not be so disapointed as I was.
I worked about 8-12 hours (instaling new linux, seting up everything...) and finaly find-out, that I can't word anyway...
Well, waiting for better releases for linux. ^_^
Kestutis
In response to Kestutis
The Linux port of BYOND is *excellent* for hosting. Plus, you can get creative like I did and write scripts to monitor DreamDaemon to check to see if it crashed or if it is trying to take over the entire CPU (these cases would be because of bugs in the game being hosted). Sure, you can probably do this in Windows too...but I'm not going to be the one volunteering on doing this.

Also, I've got two boxes. A 500MHz (512MB of RAM) running Linux and a 933MHZ (768MB of RAM) running Windows 98. Well...the Linux machine well outperformed the Windows machine when it came to hosting (I got asked many times if I had gotten a faster computer when I did this...).

Now, feel free to flame away...
In response to CableMonkey
I think the Linux vs. Windows difference, as far as popularity goes is similar to the Paint Shop Pro vs. Photoshop one. One is six times more expensive than the other, but many people believe Paint Shop Pro not only rivals Photoshop, but that it's better.

In other words, the one who charges the most wins. And Linux is free.
In response to CableMonkey
Once a Because of graphics and video programs I do a lot of work on Macintosh computers, and although "Crapintosh" was once my reference to all Apple computers, I've come to love OS X. It is so stable and fast....if a program crashes it never freezes up or slows down the operating system like it tends to do in Windows. In fact, OS X has never crashed on me one time, and considering the stuff that I throw at it that's pretty amazing. The interface is really cool too. I've never really had a chance to check out Linux, but I'm definately starting to prefer OS X over Windows. Now only if Apple could get around to making a two button mouse....
In response to Foomer
I think I know what you mean. My boss at work told me that at his previous job, he tried to install Linux and Apache on a server. ...well, the company didn't want him doing that unless he had proof that he purchased it. He had to go and find a version of Linux to buy (this was 5 or 6 years ago) so that he could have the server setup "legally".