ID:179029

I looked all through the guide and the FAQ but I cant seem to find a way to make a message board that will save messages can any one direct me to a demo with one.

obj
log
icon = 'log.dmi'
verb/enter(msg as text)
set src in oview(1)

verb/review(msg as text)
set src in oview(1)
usr << "[msg]"

I know it looks silly but I tried it anyway :)
thanks for the help
La la la la.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
ok so this is what Ive got

log
icon = 'log.dmi'
verb/enter_log(msg as text)
set src in oview(1)
msg = "[src] [src.name] wrote:[msg]"

verb/review_log(msg as text)
set src in oview(1)
Read()
usr << "[msg]"//bad var?

I dont know if this will work but its giving me a bad var on the last line can someone help me out I dont know why it would give me that error.
In response to Treasurecat
Use a global var.
var/log

mob
verb
Write_In_Log(msg as text)
log += "[usr.name] wrote: [msg]<br>"
usr << "You write in the log."
View_Log()
usr << browse(log)

Hope that helps...

-Rcet
In response to Rcet
Rcet wrote:
Use a global var.
> var/log
>
> mob
> verb
> Write_In_Log(msg as text)
> log += "[usr.name] wrote: [msg]<br>"
> usr << "You write in the log."
> View_Log()
> usr << browse(log)
>

Hope that helps...

-Rcet

That's a good way to do it, unless there are more than one message board. I would prefer a more generalized solution:

obj/msg_board
var
log
verb
add_msg(msg as text)
set src in oview(1)
log += "<b>[usr.name]:</b> [msg]<br>"
usr << "You write in the log."
read()
set src in oview(1)
usr << browse(log)
In response to Skysaw
I was just about to edit my post and say that. :]

-Rcet
In response to Rcet
I had to play around with it a bit but its working now thanks rcet your my hero
In response to Skysaw
var/log

obj
log
icon = 'log.dmi'
set src in oview(1)
log += "[usr.name] wrote: [msg]
"

verb/review_log()
set src in oview(1)

usr << browse(log)

this is what I ended up doing that will support more than one message board wont it?
No it would not. You would have to add a log var to 'log', like this:
obj
log
var
log

icon = 'log.dmi'
set src in oview(1)
log += "[usr.name] wrote: [msg]"

verb/review_log()
set src in oview(1)
usr << browse(log)

That will support multiple ones.

-Rcet

I don't know why you bothered responding to my post, since you OBVIOUSLY didn't read it. The only thing you took from it was the idea of formatting the message to include the person who said it... the part where I showed you how to make the message board work, you totally ignored.

Anyways, I'm glad you got a working solution below. Now, of course, you have to figure out a way to save the messages. My method does that already... but since you weren't interested in it, I've edited my post to remove it. :) Have fun.
I didnt ignore it when I put it up it gave me a bunch of errors and like you said I did pull something out of it im not just cutting and pasteing code here im trying to learn. thank you for your help and im sorry if I came off like I was ungratefull
Lesbian Assassin wrote:
I don't know why you bothered responding to my post, since you OBVIOUSLY didn't read it. The only thing you took from it was the idea of formatting the message to include the person who said it... the part where I showed you how to make the message board work, you totally ignored.

Anyways, I'm glad you got a working solution below. Now, of course, you have to figure out a way to save the messages. My method does that already... but since you weren't interested in it, I've edited my post to remove it. :) Have fun.

I thought that there was something funny about you just adding "La la la la" as normally you would help people ^_^ but I was too late to see what you showed him so now I know why you put it hehe

I think I will need to stay around at the forums alot more often as I have been slacking off recently :-\

Oh well, thats me done here.

Lee

If it gave you errors, it's because you copied and pasted. :P Obviously code posted on the forum isn't going to be formatted for the compiler, in terms of tabs and such, and I did use a little HTML to try to emphasize key portions of the code... if that ended up making it hard to read, you should've asked for clarification instead of ignoring the parts you don't understand.

I cannot stand--nor will I help--people who follow the "no that dont work give me anuther code" school of learning to code.
no I did not copy and paste and if you were to LOOK at the time of the posts you would see that rcet came up with an answere soon after you gave me your solution. of course I did not want to ignore him so I took a look at what he sugested and tried it out and well it worked and for some strange reason got you worked up. it also got you mad enough to pull your post before I could look at it to see if I could learn more from it. now obviously you have little intention of helping me bu tyou would like to point out anyway that I was wrong.
All I can say is that there has been alot of people helping me over the last week and everyone seemed really nice.
Try not to take it so personal if I dont uderstand everything you give me the first time around

You know what, I thought about this thread all day at work (or else I would've responded sooner... hadn't even seen your response at that point), and I really did act immaturely. You're working on problems far above the usual "newbie" level, and although you're obviously still a little hazy on some concepts of object-oriented programming, you've managed to convey the fact that you do have an understanding of programming in general.

The formatting of the code I gave you was badly messed up, because I forgot that the forum would interpret the HTML tags I put in the text... I was just in a really bad mood this morning and didn't feel like admitting I had made a mistake. I know there's people here who think I'm like that all the time, but the fact is, I'd much rather admit I'm wrong than continue being wrong.

So, I'm sorry... I bit your head off without a good reason and you handled it with a decent amount of class. I hope this experience doesn't make you leery of accepting "help" from me in the future.
your help will always be appreciated.
Hey Treasurecat, what game are you making as I would like to test it if its ok with you, I mean I wouldnt mind playing it if you would tell me when you will be hosting it next.

Hope to see your game sometime soon ^_^

Lee
In response to Mellifluous
Mellifluous wrote:
Hey Treasurecat, what game are you making as I would like to test it if its ok with you, I mean I wouldnt mind playing it if you would tell me when you will be hosting it next.

Hope to see your game sometime soon ^_^

Lee

its hardly even near completed but its comming along quikly I should have it up and running sometime next month.