ID:179134

Could someone please give me an idea of how to test for movement with get_step? I've been trying if(get_step() == WEST), but this hasn't been working.
get_step() returns the turf in the direction you specify.

so if(get_step(src,NORTH)) would be basically "if there is a turf to the north."

You could do things like:

var/N = get_step(src,NORTH)
if(N.var == #)
//do this
Or, if the turf to the north's variable equals this...That'd probably be abetter use for it.

In your cause, you'd probably want:

if(N.density == 0)
src << "You can go in!"
else
src << "You can't go there..."
In response to Foomer
The only reason I need this right now is to change icon states when people move in different directions. I think that the first method you listed would work well, but it's giving me some errors. I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to insert in place of the variables you listed. Could you tell me why this isn't working? Thanks.

if(N.var == 1)
icon_state = "n"
In response to Gakumerasara
Why are you doing that, you know byond has build in diections in the icon editor, right?
Since get_step returns a turf, you wouldn't want to use this for changing a mob.

Why don't you just animate them from the icon editor to change their direction?

The best solution would probably be to override client movement, so that it changes whatever you want changed.

client.North()
..()
usr.icon_state = "whatever"
In response to Foomer
I didn't know that I could do it that way. Should I just change the state names to NORTH, SOUTH, etc., or do I have to do something else?
Click the little movie camera icon next to the pallet thing at the top of the editor window.
In response to Nadrew
Doh . . . I never knew what that thing was for.

me <<<<< stupid newbie

sorry for the trouble