ID:179212

Is there anyone who could give me some kind of tutorial or something on MUD's?
Depends what you consider a MUD to be...
If you are interisted in hosting a D&D-type MUD (nonpersistant, DM-run), I'll have you look nowhere but here: TextMUD 2.0

-Lord of Water
In response to Foomer
By MUD I mean a completely text game.
In response to Daemon5532
No one has specifically any tutorials for one (Although a few people are building them, including me), but if you start with the graphical stuff, you'll learn enough to be able to make your own game, and it can be made from whatever you want.
In response to Daemon5532
I used to program in Circle MUD, hardcore C++..
This place is much easier!!!

:) Search google.com for "MUD FAQ"

It will give you a choice to choose from what your excately looking for.

LJR
Do you have any previous programming experience?

If not, you're in the same boat I was when I started BYOND.

My first intention was to make a totally text-based MUD. I found that much much harder than I was expecting, because I wasn't that familiar with the language. I finally gave up and went to try something with graphics.

After going through the tutorials and information, ZBT, Guide, FAQ, Reference and all that, and after a few months (3-4) of practice, I finally got to the point where I could use the language well enough to make just what I wanted. Yet, my attempts to make a text-based MUD failed then, too.

Now, 7-8 months into my programming experience, I've finally just started making my initial dream, less than two weeks ago. But, most of what I'm doing wouldn't be possible if I hadn't learned to understand the language using by building graphical games first.

So, as that's my experience, I recommend you try something similar. If you have previous programming experience though, especially with MUDs, then you might try another way.
If you look in demos there is afew that are interesting. I recommend the ZBT Tutorial in Tutorials to get you started. It helped me a lot.

In response to Lord of Water
Lord of Water wrote:
If you are interisted in hosting a D&D-type MUD (nonpersistant, DM-run), I'll have you look nowhere but here: TextMUD 2.0

There's only one problem... TextMUD isn't technically a MUD. A MUD is a Multi-User Dungeon (or Domain, or whatever redefinition you want the last one to be), while TextMUD is best suited to very few users simultaneously. TextMUD is far more of a pen-&-paper RPG system than it is a MUD.

Thus, it'd be better named TextRPG if you ask me. =)
In response to Spuzzum
I agree :oP