ID:179213

I want my cliff to be walked on till you reach the rock.

like here is my cliff:
w=walked on n=no walking

W N
N N

That is all one tile though!

Is there any way to shrink the tiles?
Or make half of it walk on and half not?

OH!
And is there any way to make it so I can't attack because I put it in mob so I couldn't walk on it?
You are soooooo far from being ready to make a game, it's scary.

It might surprise you to learn that it's not whether or not something is a mob that decides whether it can be walked on or not... it's a completely unrelated property (variable) called "density." Mobs have density = 1 by default, turfs and objs have density = 0 by default. All you have to do make a turf impossible to walk through is change its density to 1.

If very little of that made any sense to you... stop trying to make your cliff. Now. Go click on some of the links on the left of this page... the FAQ, the Guide, the Reference... click on Tutorials and check out ZBT. If you do, you'll find that all of your questions have simple answers... and more importantly, you'll gain the knowledge you need to understand those answers.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Think of it like this. You can hear the sounds we make. But you don't speak the language of: BYOND.

Anyone who wants to program games here, must 1st learn how to speak in BYOND talk. After that then you will understand the words we use when we try to help you. Otherwise it will all just look like a bunch of non-sense.

LJR
In response to LordJR
I just don't think you get what I'm saying.....
**sigh**

Well.
If you split a tile into 16x16 + 16 x 16 it ends up as 32x32 right?

so...
I want it so this is like 16x16 but it turns out as 32x32

W=walk on N=no walk on

W N
N N

That is one tile diveded into 16 pixel sqaures.

Thats what I was asking if you could do!!!!
In response to Goku984
what the kind people here are saying, is that you shouldnt need to split your tiles up. It certainly is possible to do, but it takes some fairly advanced coding.

If you were at a stage where you could be considered an adept programmer, the algorithm for mini tiles would apear like a flash of light in your mind. So learn a little more coding, and before long, you will figure it out.

In your case, you might not need to use mini tiles. If the edge of your cliff butts up against the edge of the tile, it will look like you are standing right next to it.

In response to Goku984
Goku984 wrote:
**sigh**

Well.

so...

W=walk on N=no walk on

W N
N N

As far as I'm aware of, Byond doesn't allow this. Each tile 32x32 is represented as 1 unsplited space. You can't break it up. Maybe you can enlarge the size of your cliff so it takes up a whole 32x32 tile. Or just draw your cliff so it looks 16x16 but still will not allow you to enter that tile.

LJR
In response to Goku984
Can you do that? Yes. You can do anything you put your mind to... as long as you actually bother to put your mind to it. That's why I'm answering all your posts with the same basic message: "Learn how to code."
In response to Goku984
Goku984 wrote:
**sigh**

Well.

so...

W=walk on N=no walk on

W N
N N

It is possible to split up your turfs and go to some 16x16 tile scheme rather than 32x32. However, it isn't simple or even, I would say, intermediate. As Ernie Dirt says, the code involved is quite complex. I for one know that sub-tile code is complex because of firsthand experience with it.

My own sub-tile code got buried in its own complexity, and there are parts now that I'm not even sure are safe to phase out. But this wasn't even for a game in which moving around was necessary--it's for a stationary map on which nobody walks. The code you'd need is considerably more difficult.

Not to offend, but if you're thinking an inanimate object should be a mob just so people can't walk on it--when the density var is clearly the correct choice--then sub-tile code is well beyond your present abilities and you should stick to something simpler. If you want a big map, I suggest you just double-size your icons and then use small icon mode to view your map; in my case I went another way because I figured people would want occasionally to see the map in "tiny" mode.

Lummox JR