ID:179249

How would i make a monster drop an item when it dies?

I really need help on this, Thanks

NilFisk
There is a tutorial which drops gold when a mob dies:
http://zilal.byond.com/zbt.html

Short answer: One method is to create the item with (or just move an existing item to) the monster's location as the monster is being deleted (inside the monster's Del() proc).

It is hard to give you an exact method because it depends on how you have implemented death and monsters. However, this method often works.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
There is a tutorial which drops gold when a mob dies:
http://zilal.byond.com/zbt.html

Short answer: One method is to create the item with (or just move an existing item to) the monster's location as the monster is being deleted (inside the monster's Del() proc).

It is hard to give you an exact method because it depends on how you have implemented death and monsters. However, this method often works.

there is an even better method
[edit]
Well it might not be better, but ive found it to be efficient.(ie: monsters dont keep walking around after being deleted, which often happened to me when i tried using a Move() statement.)
[/edit]

mob/proc/DeathCheck()
if(src.hp <= 0)//if their hp variable is below 0, they dead
//determine differences between players and monsters
if(src.client == null)//its a monster
src.loc.contents += src.contents
del(src)
else//its a player
//do whatever here

now, the statement src.loc.contents += src.contents makes every item inside the monsters contents drop to the turf loc that he is standing on. This makes it easy for organizing what monsters have what.

mob/monster/JackBlack
contents = newlist(/obj/sword,/obj/gold)

here we say that jackblack the monster's contents will start with a sword and some gold. When he dies, he will drop both of those items.

Of course this method isnt that great if you have unique items, that are created from a template, because the statement

contents = newlist(/obj/sword,/obj/gold)

creates a new sword and a new gold inside of the monster's contents when the monster is created. If you had some really unique items created from templates, you would have ot use the New() statement for all monsters, but i dont recommend that.

FIREking