ID:1792549

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Wondering if we can't get a world/client var that would allow us to control the browser experience better.
I'm not sure what you're asking for, exactly.
Well, the default rendering mode in the browser control is quirks mode or something right? I can't change it to a modern rendering engine so a lot of stuff doesn't work like clicking transparent backgrounds and other more recent advances. Hoping there is a way for you to override the default rendering mode when the WebBrowser control is instantiated. We've discussed it before and I was hoping you made some recent advances (with the WebClient) that might make it easier for you to implement. I suspect not though because it doesn't look like there is any other way besides the registry which isn't ideal.

*edit* - just noticing that my first post was clipped somehow (mobile device) so it's missing some stuff.
You can control the doctype for the browser control simply by defining it in the HTML you send over.
I tried and the results were unexpected. The WebBrowser control wouldn't pick up mouse click events on an element with "background-color: transparent" even though IE/Chrome do just fine. Depending on which docType/Compat mode you specify, you get varying results and none of them handle the transparent scenario. The text and border are clickable but not the transparent part.

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=9">

I'll try to put a repro together at some point but motivation to do so is lacking because I worked around the problem with a transparent image instead.

I'll toy around with it and get back to you if I come up with anything interesting.

If the function isn't supported by IE7-compatibility mode, it's not going to work in the browser control. The reason for this is because it's currently the most ideal method of making sure all clients are using similar browser types.
currently the most ideal method of making sure all clients are using similar browser types.

IE7... Most ideal. There's two things you don't see together in a sentence very often.
Yeah, just seems like we could use a little more control over that. I want to do html 5 / canvas or even basic css 3 stuff. Just feels silly that we can't. I can control what renders on the map so why not in the browser? Why not force edge mode and then figure out a way to override it with a default setting (ie7) or allow the dev to override it.
DreamSeeker is pretty much considered deprecated at this point. From all accounts, Tom's going to be pushing it over the cliff once the webclient is stable, and then looking into embedding a CEF-based executable containing the web client in place of DS.
Ah yeah. There are still some pretty decent business application uses so I hope we dont leave us app devs behind.
Honestly, I just wish they'd open up the source code for DS/DM/DD in the meantime. There are a few things I'd like to go in and improve.
We're not planning to jettison DS as such, but getting the webclient to a better place is a higher priority at the moment.

Given the penetration of newer IE builds at this point I'm willing to consider the registry fu needed to emulate in a higher version.
Yeah, with less people running below IE9 than ever, I don't see why it couldn't be changed, could always add an 'you need to upgrade your version of IE in order to utilize BYOND' to the installer.
you need to upgrade your version of IE in order to utilize BYOND

The one problem with that, is in many asian countries, IE7 is mandatory. In Japan and Korea, their government requires online transactions to use a particular brand of encryption that relies on a particular ActiveX control. Even Microsoft wants to unload that idea.

Not that it would affect BYOND of course... It's just an interesting bit of information.
Isn't worst case scenario that the developer has to support multiple browser versions? Nothing new for web devs. Wondering what all relies on the WebBrowser control and I'm also curious if we know how many of the more popular BYOND games are utilizing it.
SS13 uses it pretty heavily, but their use of it is really basic. Most BYOND games that use web browsers rarely do more than just slap a topic link into it.
Hey, to be clear, I'm not pushing hard for this. There are always work arounds for the most part.