ID:179302

Hi, thanks for your help on my previous quest to find a 'side-srolling' demo.

Upon experimenting with this particular demo, i started to create a test game of my own. I changed, and added a couple of things to the original coding which left me with no errors, yet when i decided to run a test of the game, i found the character was un-manoeuvrable. There are no errors in the coding, as I said before, so I can not really put a finger on what exactly is causing my player's movement to not work.

It was a demo made by 'Cinnom', so obviously it would be more helpful if actually he himself could help me by explaining the problem to me, if he has the time.

If you have AIM Cinnom (or anyone who is farmilliar with his demo) then you can contact me. My Screen Name is:

HONZOHATTORI

Thanks a bunch =)

Honzo
There are no errors in the coding, as I said before, so I can not really put a finger on what exactly is causing my player's movement to not work.

Try adding some debugging statements, especially in areas where Move() is called or defined, like so:

world << "About to call Move()!" //dbg

src.Move()

world << "Move() is done!"

If you see these messages, but the character didn't move, that tells you your problem is within the definition of the Move() proc (or perhaps the client.North(), et al., procs have been overridden and Move() isn't even being called).

In response to Gughunter
Thanks man, I fixed it.

But the only problem is, i had to take out the character animation to do so =(

Oh well, looks like another greatly challenging error. I just love it. lol.

Thanks for your help.

Honzo
In response to HonzoHattori
Let me guess... you put animation code somewhere in the Move() proc, or the client.North(),East(),etc.? And it was doing the animation but not moving the character? If that's the case, then you should brush up on the ..() operator (which calls the "parent proc", i.e., does whatever the proc normally does).

Of course, this is only my best guess based on the limited information you've presented.

The Forum is a more-or-less stationary body that can hold large amounts of information for perusal at any time. You'll find detailing your problems here and awaiting a response will usually yield better results than "hey someone AIM me so I can tell them what's wrong and they can fix it."