ID:179331

How do you make it save so whenever anyone else hosts it gives them the saved characters? Also how do you keep monsters out of a certian area?
By giving them the saved character files.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Lesbian Assassin wrote:

A project for Living & Dead will be storing savefiles on a central server, as is done for Diablo...when we get that done there will probably be a library. However it will require that you have a server somewhere.

More realistically, you can use client-side savefiles and upload those from the player's computer, as long as you are willing to accept that they might have hacked the file. Read the client doc to see how to do this.
In response to Deadron
Deadron wrote:
Lesbian Assassin wrote:

A project for Living & Dead will be storing savefiles on a central server, as is done for Diablo...when we get that done there will probably be a library. However it will require that you have a server somewhere.

More realistically, you can use client-side savefiles and upload those from the player's computer, as long as you are willing to accept that they might have hacked the file. Read the client doc to see how to do this.

I considered this for my game, actually. (I'm referring to transferring locally stored saves) I spent about six hours bashing at a save file created by your charhandling lib, and, in my opinion, I'd put it beyond 99.99% of the people that would normally be so juvenile as to break their save files. (Referring to the DBZ goers. Look. Half of them can't use if() properly. What makes you think they could even locate a hex editor or some similar tool?)

I decided to store characters locally for the time being. Not like anybody but me connects to it anyway. :/

If it becomes a problem, I may consider looking at hubfiles.. been meaning to do that for a while.

--Tarmas.
In response to Tarmas
There are always sneakly little things you can do, like storing the value in three different slots within the save, then comparing them to make sure they're all the same when they load the save, and if they're not, the game know's it's hacked, and deletes the file :o)
In response to Foomer
Yeh. You could do something like that. I'm too lazy to worry about stuff like that right now. As I said before, I'll start looking into other options if I see it happening as anything other than a complete fluke. I clearly remember a person randomly hitting the correct byte in their DBZ:NN character file and having their strength set to something real close to overflow..

--Tarmas.