ID:179350

Does BYOND support MySQL database access? It's not required for what I'm doing, just wondering...
Dreq wrote:
Does BYOND support MySQL database access? It's not required for what I'm doing, just wondering...

I don't think so - I'm not drooling.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it doesn't because we wouldn't being using the limited "as" whatever commands and such when searching.

Not to my knowledge - how's that? :)
In response to ACWraith
I may just have my friend run yet another program to check a file for data (Using BYOND to FTP the file) to place in the database :)
Dreq wrote:

In the hazy days of a past gone by, I suggested that ODBC support be added to The List...I think this is seen as happening around the time of BYOND 3D, though probably it will come sooner than that!

Anyway, a database backend is essential for any serious MUD/persistent RPG, as the MUD community has started figuring out. I suspect that when someone really needs it, they'll figure out a way to do a basic hookup through by using shell() and the filesystem. Once it becomes clear how BYOND games might use it, built-in support will probably become more likely.

I don't think it's a priority feature right now, because the MUD/RPG games on the system are nowhere near mature enough for this to be their major issue.
In response to Deadron
Yes I need it so my website can have an active list of real-estate in my game, and by active, I mean if someone buys a house/land, it shows up immediatly on the website. We will most likely call a PHP link from BYOND in an external browser, and have LScript to close the window again (yeah I know it prompts), and that's how we plan on working around this... But databases have a huge importance to many games, especially in organized game information storage :)
In response to Dreq
Dreq wrote:
Yes I need it so my website can have an active list of real-estate in my game, and by active, I mean if someone buys a house/land, it shows up immediatly on the website. We will most likely call a PHP link from BYOND in an external browser, and have LScript to close the window again (yeah I know it prompts), and that's how we plan on working around this... But databases have a huge importance to many games, especially in organized game information storage :)

I would think either browse() or one of the client procs would be good for this. You could call the URL of your PHP script from within BYOND, and the only real problem would be finding a way to keep it from actually going to the browser (unless you wanted it to).

It's a pretty good idea, really, considering how much interactivity you could add to your games. The big issue of course is security, since you'd need some way to verify that incoming data was actually coming from a BYOND game.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I would think either browse() or one of the client procs would be good for this. You could call the URL of your PHP script from within BYOND, and the only real problem would be finding a way to keep it from actually going to the browser (unless you wanted it to).

This is pretty easy in the latest betas. Sometime in the 307/311 cycle they added HTTP GET to the connection types that world.Export() supports. So, one idea would be to talk to your database through a PHP script using world.Export/Import.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:

If you have the ability to run BYOND on your server, you can just use BYOND CGI, which would make it trivial for the website to interact with a running BYOND game.