ID:179355

I've been playing arround with the new icon obj in the beta and I can't seem to figure out the connections. When I use ICON_ADD with blue and yellow I get white, and when I do ICON_SUBTRACT with blue and yellow I get orange, and ICON_MULTIPLY gives me black.

I don't see what it's doing. You can't combine or seperate blue and yellow to get orange, black or white, I don't think it's possible...
Maby it adds or subtracts the R, G, and B values from the graphics behind it. Ever think of that? :D
English wrote:
I've been playing arround with the new icon obj in the beta and I can't seem to figure out the connections. When I use ICON_ADD with blue and yellow I get white, and when I do ICON_SUBTRACT with blue and yellow I get orange, and ICON_MULTIPLY gives me black.

I don't see what it's doing. You can't combine or seperate blue and yellow to get orange, black or white, I don't think it's possible...

Getting white is correct; ICON_ADD adds the RGB values together, and with blue (100% B) and yellow (100% R and G), you get white.

Orange is a little weirder. I think this would make sense, though, if you started with yellow and subtracted an "off-blue" from it that has a small green component.

Black from ICON_MULTIPLY is also correct. That multiplies the individual red, green, and blue intensities, which come out 0 (or close to it, if you're using an off-blue).

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I guess that makes sense. I've got one more question though, why are Red, Blue, and Green used? Why isn't yellow, a prime color, used?

It's kind of weird because green and red doesn't make yellow...
In response to English
Excellent question!

And the answer.... yellow isn't a prime color when it comes to mixing light.

There are acutally four sets of primary colors:
The familiar pigment ones: red, yellow, blue
The light ones: red, green, blue
cyan, yellow, magenta (I believe these are used for light also)
And another set that actually contains colors beyond the range of the human eye. It has some weird properties that make it better for combining to form all possible colors. Its just a funny scientific thing and not ever used, though.

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
AbyssDragon wrote:
And another set that actually contains colors beyond the range of the human eye. It has some weird properties that make it better for combining to form all possible colors. Its just a funny scientific thing and not ever used, though.

I believe those are light as well.
In response to AbyssDragon
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, I'd always wondered why they used RGB instead of RYB. I really should learn how light combines to make different colors so it becomes as natural as knowing yellow pigment and red pigment becomes orange pigment.
In response to English
English wrote:
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation, I'd always wondered why they used RGB instead of RYB. I really should learn how light combines to make different colors so it becomes as natural as knowing yellow pigment and red pigment becomes orange pigment.

Well, the issue is actually more complex than you might think. Pigments combine a different way because they obey slightly different rules. They're not emissive, but reflective (meaning you see a color when it reflects light, not when it shines directly at you). Because of this, their color spectrum is "subtractive"; which actually is multiplicative, where more light of certain wavelengths is absorbed.

Making the situation weirder, the RGB color phosphors in a monitor don't really make the same colors as you'd see in nature. What they do is basically fake those colors by stimulating our eyes, which are sensitive to very simililar wavelengths, into thinking they're seeing different colors; it's not that red and green actually do combine to make yellow, but that our brain perceives it that way. (Our eyes are tuned to red, green, and blue, to combinations thereof, and to "opponency" between colors. Even though each color is a unique spectral signature, the eye basically reduces that to 3 simple intensities.) As such there are some colors a monitor can't even render.

Lummox JR