ID:1794500

I'm learning about all aspects of game Development. Right now I'm focusing on promotion and building hype /interest for games.

One aspect is showing people cool things so the point of this post is to glean information that could improve my skill with making people go - "HEY I WANT TO PLAY THAT"

One way I've been trying is using GIFS.

Simply take a look at these gif's and tell me in a few words whether or not they would make you want to play a game you know virtually nothing about -- and why.

(Also some tips to improve the interest level if possible. Thanks)

The last gif, the text is spaced out, which isn't very appealing. The first gif is nice but does not include enough action to 'reel' me into the game.
In response to Edit Nero
Edit Nero wrote:
The last gif, the text is spaced out, which isn't very appealing. The first gif is nice but does not include enough action to 'reel' me into the game.

Thanks. I'm slowly working on correctly spacing the text in a way that won't add tons of un-needed computations- I've been studying some libs to sort of make my own chat system.

Hmm. More action- I guess that's what I'm stuck on. What type of things would you like to see?
Combat? Boss Fights?
Typically people get lured in by action, so the more stuff you have going on that's appealing the more likely the person will say, "This game looks awesome, might aswell try it." In order to accomplish this, just throwing in a bunch of explosions and stuff together isn't very alluring, that's just a cluster fuck of random stuff. I can't really describe it but look at game trailers, they either have action or some aspect of the game that's very alluring. Whether it be beautiful graphics, never before seen mechanics, or simple but interesting gameplay.

Better?
you could also do what normal people do and just make a trailer. lol
In response to EmpirezTeam
That's the point of this post actually. I get better results with my gif maker- produces better, smoother video. So I'm planning on making the gifs then converting to AVI file type. I just need a good idea for what to put in the trailer.

Maybe I should go with -
"In an age when lawlessness ruled the land.
A chaotic Good character rose from the turmoil to become........
a ninja"
In response to Avidanimefan
That dosent show anything but a guy fading out. You'll most likely need to collaborate with some people and make a script to follow to achieve something good.
In response to Edit Nero
The entire Gif is a combat sequence. If you only see the part of the guy fading away you may need to allow the gif to load.

A sequence of things to show case is a good idea.

I think I will make a list of all the features in the game, and then try to put together 3-4 30 second clips to showcase certain features. That sounds like a good place to start.
In response to Avidanimefan
Ah I see, apologies.
Is this a byond game? It looks really good!!!
Is this a byond game? It looks really good!!!

It's looking more and more impressive around here of late. People are really picking up the game and starting to work on stuff that's got some real crunch to it.

Or at least, they are getting over their fear of pixel movement and are realizing that stat and verb panels are out.

Anyway, Avid: Check out OpenBroadcaster. It's free and allows you to stream as well as record. I manage 1080p with it. The scene editor takes some time to get used to, but once you are good with it you can set up complicated scenes and record from multiple sources at a time as well as record your audio output and input devices.
In response to Ter13
Yea I know. Such quality latley Byond could make it. Just when I thought I when I was building my game I thought my only competition was those verb and stat panel games.

But this game is really great love the art style.
Thanks guys.

As my screen name implies I love anime in general. The art style reflects that a bit (chibi style).

And thanks Ters I'll check out Open Broadcaster.