ID:179477

i keep getting errors that say missing expression when its not missing. this is the code:
buycheck()
if (usr.wealth >=10) //1
usr.wealth-=10 //2
if(upgrade = " weapon") //3
usr.attack+=1 //4
usr << "upgraded sword for 10 gold, damage is now 1 to [10+usr.attack]" //5
if(upgrade = "armor") //6
usr.defence+=1 //7
usr << "upgraded defence for 10 gold, defence is now [defence]" //8
else //9
usr << "not enough cash" //10
the missing expression errors are for 3 + 6 but the expressions are there. if u could help it would be much appreciated.

But where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live.
-Sir Thomas Browne (1663-1704) Religio Medici

Loduwijk (the war famous)
The reason it says you're missing an expression is that you're using the assignment = in an if() statement instead of ==. Unlike C, where this is valid but gives you a warning, BYOND doesn't allow assignment within the if() condition.

(I wonder if a special modification of the error message couldn't be made to handle this case. I think it would help a lot of people.)

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
thx bunches. i dont understand why it makes a difference but it works better now. ill have to look into that so i understand it better.

But where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live.

Loduwijk (the war famous knight)
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
thx bunches. i dont understand why it makes a difference but it works better now. ill have to look into that so i understand it better.

I'll try to explain it some:

= sets something which cannot be done within a if() proc.

== means equals to which checks against something which can be done within a if() proc.

if() is used to check something not to set something.
In response to Nadrew
thx nadrew, that cleared a lot up. from our confrontations of late i thought u were as hypocritical and irrational as duff. i am sorry for that, u are not such a bad guy after all.

just my opinion.

Loduwijk, the war famous knight