ID:179903

new/obj/monster/name
I have a new object that I created with the above code,
i just need to tell it which direction to face, and i need to be able to delete it

can i name it?

ALSO, is there anyway to make a picture show up on a 'stats' tab thingy?
Pillsverry wrote:
new/obj/monster/name
I have a new object that I created with the above code,
i just need to tell it which direction to face, and i need to be able to delete it

can i name it?

var/obj/monster/name/Critter = new()
creates a new obj/monster/name and assigns it to the Critter variable. Now you can modify the monster however you like by accessing Critter's variables.

Critter.dir = NORTH
Critter.name = "Spot"
Critter.lunch = "Pillsverry"
and so on.

When the proc ends, Critter is no longer a valid variable. but you can delete Critter at any time in the proc with del(Critter). If you want to delete it outside the proc, you will need some other way to locate it.

You should probably define monsters as mob instead of obj.

ALSO, is there anyway to make a picture show up on a 'stats' tab thingy?

If you display an atom with an icon in the statpanels, the icon will be displayed also.
In response to Shadowdarke
ok, thanks

Yep. There's no pre-requisite to do that, mind you, since objs can do the same things that mobs can, excluding being controlled directly by players. However, it is usually easier to relate between objs as inanimate objects and mobs as animate creatures.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

Yep. There's no pre-requisite to do that, mind you, since objs can do the same things that mobs can, excluding being controlled directly by players. However, it is usually easier to relate between objs as inanimate objects and mobs as animate creatures.

ahh, yes, but heres the deal,what i am making isnt a mob, its an object,just a picture, you see, i1m making a game that requires you to send out a monster, a monster that attacks for you, but the thing is, i cant get it del, the Object, would it be esier to make it a mob? could i delete it outside the proc if it were a mob?

how would I delete the obj's picture after battle? then i gotta come up with a system to where Digi-Mon cant attack humans, mabey a challenge system would work, I dunno, I`ll build that bridge when i come to it
In response to Pillsverry
Deleting mobs is exactly like deleting objs, so that wouldn't help your situation. The way to remove the monster depends on how you are handling battles.

What are the circumstances when you want to delete it?

If you want monsters to have a time limit, you could spawn() a del() in the proc that creates it.

If it's not timed, you should store a reference to it somewhere. You could store it with the summoner and delete any active monsters he has after the battle ends.

Alternately, you could have a special battle datum that tracks info about a given battle, including a list of all the monsters summoned and who they are fighting for. (I'd store who they are fighting for in the monster itself.)

If you move the battle to a special battle field, you could forget all the extra variables and just delete any obj/monster in the battle field when the battle ends.

The solution depends on entirely on how you want to do things in your game. To delete something, you simply need a way to find it.
Shadowdarke wrote:
Deleting mobs is exactly like deleting objs, so that wouldn't help your situation. The way to remove the monster depends on how you are handling battles.

What are the circumstances when you want to delete it?

If you want monsters to have a time limit, you could spawn() a del() in the proc that creates it.

If it's not timed, you should store a reference to it somewhere. You could store it with the summoner and delete any active monsters he has after the battle ends.

Alternately, you could have a special battle datum that tracks info about a given battle, including a list of all the monsters summoned and who they are fighting for. (I'd store who they are fighting for in the monster itself.)

If you move the battle to a special battle field, you could forget all the extra variables and just delete any obj/monster in the battle field when the battle ends.

The solution depends on entirely on how you want to do things in your game. To delete something, you simply need a way to find it.

well i kinda wanna delete it from a proc that checks to see if the mob is dead(has no HP) so what i have to figure out now, is how to do that, I dont want to move it to a special field, and i certainly cant del all obj from the feild, because if other people are battling, it will delet their monsters too

I wonder how i`ll figure it out
Pillsverry wrote:
well i kinda wanna delete it from a proc that checks to see if the mob is dead(has no HP)

That's covered in numerous demos, libraries and tutorials. Check out the ZBT tutorial.
I didnt mean that i needed to make the proc, i just need to delete the critter outside the proc, but nothing I have tried works
THEIR SO STUPID I MEAN MAKE AN ORIGINAL GAME
In response to XenoCyde
Well, for one thing, THERE IS NO F***ING DIGIMON GAME ON BYOND, ONLY A FEW POKEMON GAMES, AND A F***ING ZILLION DBZ GAMES, WHICH REALLY SUCKS, IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT THE CODE THEN SHUT THE F*** UP, IF YOU SAY NOT TO MAKE DIGIMON AND POKEMON GAMES, THEN YOU WOULD BE A HYPOCRITE NOT TO SAY THAT ABOUT DRAGONBALL,Z,GT

point out ONE digimon game that is runnign right now can you find one? NO

there are currently about 50 DBZ games on BYOND, most are not in the hub, and only because people want to play a certain game their way