ID:1799740

(See the best response by NNAAAAHH.)
I am a pretty bad coder, and I am starting simple.

I am looking for a way to mouse over a player, and it displays their name just below their character icon for a few seconds.

Preferably able to set it's color, and size ofcourse.

If you want an example of what I mean they have that feature in Naruto: Next Generation, I asked if they could tell me how to implement this myself, they told me it was a library made by Berlin.

I'd really appreciate some help.
You'll want to override MouseEntered() for players to add your nametag activation.

The nametag itself needs to be an /image object (made with the image() proc) with a location set to a player. Each player can have its own nametag image. Then, when the nametag should be shown to an observer, you can simply use observer << nametag. When you hide the nametag, you'll have to use observer.client.images -= nametag (assuming observer is a mob with a client).

To give text to the nametag, you'll set its maptext variables: the maptext, maptext_width, and maptext_height of the nametag (/image) object. HTML in the maptext allows you to set its color and size (and text alignment), of course.
I dont know how to post this but found this code, how would I implement this into my source?

Thanks so far, but that sounded so chinese to me :P

mob
MouseEntered()
for(var/obj/Max_Obj_Letters in src.Max_Name)
var/image/Max_Image = image(Max_Obj_Letters,src)
usr.client.images += Max_Image
spawn(usr.Max_Wait_Time) usr.client.images -= Max_Image
obj
Max_Obj_Letters
icon='Letters.dmi'
mob/var/Max_Red = 0
mob/var/Max_Green = 0
mob/var/Max_Blue = 0
mob/var/Max_Name = list()
mob/var/Max_Wait_Time = 20.
mob
proc
Max_MouseName()
var/MAX_Name = src.name

src.Max_Name = list()
var/list/Max_Letters = list()
var/Max_Balance =- (lentext(MAX_Name)*3)
for(var/M = 1, M < lentext(MAX_Name) + 1, M++)
Max_Letters += copytext(MAX_Name, M, M+1)
for(var/Max_X in Max_Letters)
var/obj/Max_Obj_Letters/M_O_L = new /obj/Max_Obj_Letters
M_O_L.icon_state = Max_X
M_O_L.pixel_x = Max_Balance
M_O_L.pixel_y = -10
M_O_L.icon += rgb(src.Max_Red,src.Max_Green,src.Max_Blue)
src.Max_Name += M_O_L
Max_Balance += 8
Rickoshay, that still doesn't really make sense to me at all, I am very very very new to coding on byond :/
In response to Seijinz
Then you may be trying to start too big. Don't try to run before you can walk. Try and find resources tailored to learning the basics, rather than things done with the basics.
Hi Reformist, I agree, but it's quite hard to start coding at all :)

I dont know where to start :/

I have the NNG 1.91 source, but it's quite messy in my opinion.
In response to Seijinz
Best response
99% of all sources that I am aware of, which people have access to, are pretty poorly put together libraries of questionable quality/implementation.

You can always read through the DM Guide, some of the tutorials out there, ect. You could alway codecademy it up and start learning with a different language first. Most languages that're on there draw similarities to BYOND. It takes a lot of time and effort to even learn the most basic of languages. Much more so to become proficient.
This source is messy, but it's by far one of the best sources I've ever layed my hands on.

I've already adapted it to my liking, quite a bit, just need to clean up and add some polish, but you're right.

Thanks.