ID:1801106

Poll: Do you even develop?

Yes, I (program, pixel, gfx, etc.) 92% (78)
No, I just play the games. 7% (6)

Login to vote.

I honestly would like to know the developer to player ratio on BYOND.
*Drops a comment*

I do both. Mainly play, been too lazy for my developer side.
Haven't played a BYOND game since 2004-2005.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Haven't played a BYOND game since 2004-2005

Same here, or at least haven't played one for more than 5 minutes without quitting it..
I see the results and they're entirely all developers. I think only, or mostly, developers go to forums. Average people on BYOND go to play its games. Average players never, or almost never, visit the forums.
In response to TheDarkChakra
TheDarkChakra wrote:
I see the results and they're entirely all developers. I think only, or mostly, developers go to forums. Average people on BYOND go to play its games. Average players never, or almost never, visit the forums.

Gonna have to say that I agree. That only tells me more about the true number difference between developers compared to players.
You also have to remember the people who don't post on the forums. I'd say we have easily four times as many active developers as post here regularly. A very large portion of the people who are actively making games ignore the forums, so any metrics you are going to gather here are pretty meaningless.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
A very large portion of the people who are actively making games ignore the forums

Do you blame them? Post anything on these forums and you pretty much get abused and told your project is absolutely shite..
Do you blame them? Post anything on these forums and you pretty much get abused and told your project is absolutely shite..

I didn't want to comment on the why. Just wanted to stick to the facts.
I wouldn't call it weird to develop and not post here. I don't do it myself much, so I know it's sort of meaningless to go off of. But I'm no more than interested in the question itself anyways.
Dude, it's the forums. You're not going to see many non-developers.
Given BYOND's shift away from blogs, guilds, and such yeah I'd say it's 99% developers on forums. No real reason for players to come to the forums, unless they also develop games.

I play a game occasionally, usually just trials of new games like Skirmish, or a match of LRS, but for the most part I just develop games.
Well. There is a neat classified ad, or game update section of the forums. QQ Come observe, players.
I spend countless hours working on sprite sheets for a game im working on outside of byond.

It's very tedious work and I tend to lose motivation quite often but somehow manage to tear on.
I initially misread this and thought that it meant outside of the forums. My answer is the same regardless!

In terms of the current line of discussion, I'm a very new member, and I signed up precisely because I was exploring the gaming engine. I haven't seen much on the forums that would engage non-developers, aside from game-specific forums. Even then, I noticed that many games have external websites/forums/BBS.
I do indeed program, make art, sounds, and whatever content is needed for a multimedia application. I spend way too much time obsessing over how things should work, though.
In addition to what everyone else has noted, there probably is some amount of non-response bias here as well. When a developer sees "do you even develop?" they will jump at the chance to prove that they are a developer (despite never releasing anything). However, a player might look at the thread and think "this doesn't concern me" so they won't bother voting NO
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
In addition to what everyone else has noted, there probably is some amount of non-response bias here as well. When a developer sees "do you even develop?" they will jump at the chance to prove that they are a developer (despite never releasing anything). However, a player might look at the thread and think "this doesn't concern me" so they won't bother voting NO

That's not entirely true, there are still some decent people on the internet...
It's a given that this would not function to prove the actual ratio, but it was still important for me to find out that there are even 46 people who consider themselves skilled enough in a hobbyist field to call themselves developers. I had no clue so many people had the skill to or even developed on BYOND because I'm an artist. So, I suppose I don't visit the Developers section enough because not much there catches my interest to know that there exists even the 46 who have voted "Yes, ..".

I feel as though when I see the forums being used, it's usually the same faces. So it's hard to get an accurate estimate as to who develops on here and who doesn't, but it was interesting, again, that even 46 people out of the 48 who voted have said they're developers in some facet or skill.
I develope but I don't play byond games don't interest me unless I'm programming it, other wise I pay no mind to them. I barely even actually log into byond I just come on the forums to see job offers.
Page: 1 2 3