ID:180813

wich of icon overlays and icon states is the much efficient, ie requires the least amount of resources server side?

i am planning on having the char change depending on what clothing, armor and weapons he is currently wearing.

another question: currently I have a stonewall icon with different states for curves, straights and end pieces. Is that better, equal to or worse than having multiple icons?
On 2/13/01 12:09 am Kaidorin wrote:
another question: currently I have a stonewall icon with different states for curves, straights and end pieces. Is that better, equal to or worse than having multiple icons?

I believe they're about equal... I don't think one takes up more memory than the other, not enough to matter anyway. The only factors I can think of is that one icon with many states may be easier for you as a designer to work on, but will be a longer download for the user, so they won't get to see the wall until they've sat there for a bit.

That may be a moot point for people with cable modems; I dunno.

Z
In response to Zilal
ok,then since I am going to make the wall into many icons.
i am planning on having the char change depending on what clothing, armor and weapons he is currently wearing.

For this situation, I'd recommend overlays. In fact, stuff like clothing/armor/etc. is probably the main reason Dantom added the overlay feature.

Probably it's better. In the game I'm currently working on, I have various wall appearances--white, beige, dark, etc.--and each one has its own icon with many states for horizontal, vertical, etc. It works well for me. (The only catch is that the Gen button, which displays all the icon states for an icon, is broken in the latest release--I'm hoping Dantom will rectify this soon so I can stop switching back and forth between releases!)
In response to Guy T.
On 2/13/01 7:31 am Guy T. wrote:

For this situation, I'd recommend overlays. In fact, stuff like clothing/armor/etc. is probably the main reason Dantom added the overlay feature.

ok thanks!

the wall stuff is not needed anymore, cause I have switched my walls from isometric to plain 2D. It matches my other graphics. Now since my wall is 2D I need 1 icon instead of 15. That feels nice.