ID:1808729

BYOND Version:507.1275
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 36.0
Applies to:Webclient

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

When 2 objects are placed one on top of another, with the same layer in the code, but one is placed over the other on the map editor, the webclient doesn't always take the placement order into consideration and treats them both equally.

This causes some game frames to be rendered with the other object on top instead, blinking between which one is visually shown as being on top.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1. Place 2 objects with the same layer variable, with one on top of the other

2. Run game in the webclient.

3. Watch objects fight over which one should be in front of the other.

Expected Results:
The second object placed over the top of the first object, to always remain in front.

Actual Results:
Blinking icons where layers from the map maker aren't preserved.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time the game is run.
In other games?
Maybe.
In other user accounts?
Yes.
On other computers?
Yes. My game making compadre has the same problem, at seemingly the exact same time.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When using the Dream Seeker to run the game.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
My friend says that it did not occur in the last version he had.
Please edit your report to include the full (and correct) version number. Also I need to know: Is this only on 507.1275 or is it also in older 507 builds?
Is there any way to get the old versions of the BYOND beta? My friend said he didn't experience it in the previous version he had, but I'm unsure if the conditions for the problem even existed at that time.

If there was a way to install the old beta, then I would gladly get him to host the game again when he's next on so I can check exactly what version numbers have the issue.
@Cranimus

They're all listed here - http://www.byond.com/download/build/507/

You'll want the .exe's for Windows or the .zip where it's more of a portable type environment / seperate from the installed version, great for testing.
Thank you so much!
I can't reproduce this at all. I've tried with two objects on the map together, same step/pixel offsets, and I do not see any random variations in their sort order. I'm going to need a test case that shows this in action.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
The problem appears to not be occurring anymore, I'm not sure what the issue was or why it was happening, but it simply doesn't anymore.

I apologise for wasting your time and thank you.
Actually I am able to very easily reproduce this bug, and can confirm it is an issue. It seems to be entirely random though.

I captured the issue in these two gifs:

http://puu.sh/gzdd4/c1fe001c35.gif

http://puu.sh/gzdjD/9529ec4a6d.gif

Yes, I am running 507.1276.

In both of these, atoms that are the same layer keep swapping between rendering below one another. It's primarily effected by movement, or just where the player is located relative to the atoms.
Point of confusion: Why is the old lady on the same layer as the bench? Seems like a mob should generally have a higher layer than the decor. I just want to confirm that's actually accurate.

Does this happen anywhere near the starting point in Severed World, and if so how do I get to that point? I want to be able to reproduce this myself so I can see where it's failing.
In response to Lummox JR
Haha, wow, you're completely right that the mob should have a higher layer than the decor - however, I handle things a bit differently in Severed.

The top part of the bench, if the tiles above it aren't dense, will appear ABOVE any mobs that are above it. I do this for pretty much any object in Severed that takes up more than 32 vertical pixels to simulate depth:

atom
proc/OrientLayer(default_layer = MOB_LAYER)
layer = default_layer - y/world.maxy // the higher the y value, the lower the layer

I'm not sure if that makes sense but suffice to say there's a good reason why they're the same layer. Sort of...

I don't think your copy of Severed has that, but you could definitely see the cabbage glitching. Just start a new game, spam Z to skip the intro cutscenes, then walk out of the house.
Well here's the weird part: the sort is meant to be stable when two objects share the same layer. I checked and the index var that keeps it so is unchanged. So it looks as if something is causing the layer itself to fluctuate.

I did just see two things that are potentially problematic. One of them is a typo, and another is an issue with the group ID used to track icons. I believe these would explain the issue, though I'll have to run some tests first to reproduce it so I can be sure it's fixed.
I still wasn't able to reproduce this, but having found some incorrect code I believe I've eliminated the problem. Please retest in 507.1277.
Tested with 507.1277. The issue is still present.
Can you suggest a way of seeing this more reliably, then? I was unable to see anything in Shattered World except for a couple of trees fighting for their layer, which I'm not sure they wouldn't do in DS. The cabbages did not show the problem, and I never saw the old lady at all.