ID:180875

Anyone want to take over the BYOND FAQs? I keep telling myself I'm going to update it, and I keep putting it off. I always hated that in others, so if anyone wants it let me know.

If nobody does, I'll try to keep a schedule of updates running once I get my own schedule ironed out.

On 1/16/01 3:55 pm Gabriel wrote:
Anyone want to take over the BYOND FAQs? I keep telling myself I'm going to update it, and I keep putting it off. I always hated that in others, so if anyone wants it let me know.

If nobody does, I'll try to keep a schedule of updates running once I get my own schedule ironed out.

I'd be willing to take it on.

Where is the current FAQ?
In response to Deadron
On 1/16/01 4:09 pm Deadron wrote:
I'd be willing to take it on.

Where is the current FAQ?

It's currently located at http://www.erinet.com/gjsfaun/byond/

There are two files, the 0.5 version and the 0.6 which I was last working on. The file names are:
byondfaq.html (0.5 version)
byondfaq_working.html (0.6 version)

Thanks Deadron!
- Gabriel
In response to Gabriel
Thanks Deadron!

Aw, I'd rather take it over... =(

I need stuff for my webpage... otherwise it'll be 90% devoted to my games, rather than what it's actually supposed to be devoted to, a newbie's/expert's reference for a bunch of coding tips.

Well, first come, first serve... =P
In response to Spuzzum
Aw, I'd rather take it over... =(

I need stuff for my webpage... otherwise it'll be 90% devoted to my games, rather than what it's actually supposed to be devoted to, a newbie's/expert's reference for a bunch of coding tips.

Well, first come, first serve... =P

I can't speak for Deadron, but I imagine there's plenty of room for both of you to share the burden.

Or, alternately, you can split off your own renegade FAQ! I think it's about time BYOND enjoyed a good internecine conflict. :) While you do that, I'll commence work on my text-based MUD, Derulea!

Oh, one more thought about the FAQ. A while back I was thinking about using BYOND for an "E-Talmud." As my Gentile teachers explained it to me (so take it with a grain of salt), the Talmud is a giant collection of margin notes from top-drawer religious thinkers. It'd be neat to create a library that would allow you to, say, pick your favorite work from gutenberg.org; break it up into sections; and let the learned scholars of the world make erudite comments that help reveal the meaning of the text. And then alienate them by deleting all the comments that don't please you.

But first we'd need a BufferedString type to manipulate large blocks of text...