ID:180933

Ok so I went to newbie to suggest it...

Saved data is the lifeblood of any RPG game. There are few games that don't need to start with a design for how the data will be saved.

Savefiles are quite handy -- but the first time you hit them it's a doozy. I had a whole game ground to a halt for that reason (might go back to it shortly).

I know the book will cover savefiles, but Tom would it be possible to get a tutorial for this?

I'd even be happy to provide one if it would help.
On 8/10/00 2:36 pm Deadron wrote:
Ok so I went to newbie to suggest it...

Saved data is the lifeblood of any RPG game. There are few games that don't need to start with a design for how the data will be saved.

Savefiles are quite handy -- but the first time you hit them it's a doozy. I had a whole game ground to a halt for that reason (might go back to it shortly).

I know the book will cover savefiles, but Tom would it be possible to get a tutorial for this?

On 8/10/00 2:36 pm Deadron wrote:

I plan to spend some time on a couple of tutorials within the next week or so. This will certainly be one of them.

I may take you up on that generous offer! I wouldn't want you to waste time coping with the recently-changed notation, though. I have the benefit of having the book proof by my side here. Of course you are more than welcome to give it a go, and I can always augment your stuff with anything new that may have been introduced. One can never have too much information. Tell me what you think.
In response to Tom H.
On 8/10/00 3:11 pm Tom H. wrote:
I may take you up on that generous offer! I wouldn't want you to waste time coping with the recently-changed notation, though. I have the benefit of having the book proof by my side here. Of course you are more than welcome to give it a go, and I can always augment your stuff with anything new that may have been introduced. One can never have too much information. Tell me what you think.

Sure -- I can concentrate on the big picture concepts and you can make sure I haven't missed any useful notation.

In fact, since I'm learning XML for work purposes, I'll do it in XML for my benefit. I'll give it to you in HTML, though (unless you'd prefer the XML! I'm using the DocBook DTD...)

Hmm I oughta do my library reference that way too.

But I am babbling, and this is the wrong forum for that!
In response to Deadron
On 8/10/00 3:49 pm Deadron wrote:
In fact, since I'm learning XML for work purposes, I'll do it in XML for my benefit.

You know what you should really do... trick ME into writing the savefile tutorial. Then I'd have to learn it.

Z