If you want my two-cents, I'd suggest coming up with some actual gameplay ideas and mechanics to utilize. The gameplay should come first, and story/aesthetics second.

Hell, that's particularly why there's one project of mine that's still in the early alpha phase, because I keep trying to improve upon my gameplay and mechanics ideas. I've gone through at least 10 design iterations since I started the project this time last year.
In response to Oondivinezin
Oondivinezin wrote:
If you want my two-cents, I'd suggest coming up with some actual gameplay ideas and mechanics to utilize. The gameplay should come first, and story/aesthetics second.

Hell, that's particularly why there's one project of mine that's still in the early alpha phase, because I keep trying to improve upon my gameplay and mechanics ideas. I've gone through at least 10 design iterations since I started the project this time last year.

No. Don't encourage him to do something he has no experience with getting himself in to. You'll only be digging him a hole and literally pushing him in there to never get back out.

What he needs to do is not take on a big project before he is capable of taking on a small project. My advice to you is to do something more your size. Think of it as a woman and a man. You can't take everything on all at once. But, seriously, start small. I can't stress this enough. I just had to tell someone else this earlier. And not to mention 3 days ago as well. And yesterday too now that I think about it.

You'll just be spending 10 years of your life trying to do something that can take a month to a year to even get started if you just put in some practice.

Choose a game engine that fits your taste and purposes (do research to find out which engine has the features you need). No one engine does it all. I prefer Unity because of how simple their UI is. But, Unreal Engine has easy networking and some nice shaders out of the box. While UE has nice shaders and networking, Unity has a new Networking system coming out soon called UNet. It is a part of Unity 5.0 and, from what I am told from a certain someone, It will be in Unity 5.1. Not only that, you can program your own shaders in Unity.

So, it all depends on whether you want to be lazy and have your shaders set for you, whether you want your networking done one way or another, or if you like the difference in performance feels between the two. Your pick. Choose wisely because you should be putting in extra practice with the one you choose to get really good with manipulating things, fixing bugs, and producing small scripts to be reused in other projects to save you time.

Once you've learned your way around your newfound engine, utilize scripts from other projects you've done (even if it is just the logic) and try implementing them in new projects that you'd like to take on. Remember, keep them simple at first. You don't want to burn yourself out.
Shut up Xirre, I'm sure people told Obama he would never be president and look at him now, anything is possible, he's going to find a christian game development team and they're going to make a Jesus MMO hurrrrr durrrrrr

ur just a hater durrrrrr
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
... hurrrrr durrrrrr

... hater durrrrrr

That's all I read, ET. That's all I read.

Lettuce not have a repeat, my friend.
OP, you're not making a very good point for yourself. Saying that the engine you're going to use will depend on the developer proves you're not cut out for this type of stuff, yet. You should choose your engine based on what you need to do.

Unity 3D

Less demanding games with model-based level design. It is good for somewhat linear games, or open worlds with partitioned levels. (Like Ocarina of Time or Fable)

Unreal Engine 4

For games with high-quality graphics and brush-based mapping. It also uses C++ instead of C#, which I personally consider an advantage, but some people might be turned off by it. Keep in mind, however, that it has a sophisticated scripting system that doesn't require you to manually write all of your code. The editor also uses a lot of CPU on lower-end machines.

As for your concept, I think playing a game based on the Torah would be pretty cool. But your idea sounds good on paper, not in games.
I find this post absurd. How long did it take you to create this idea? If it's less than 20 minutes, you should revise it.
Is it time for a derail combo breaker?
Vegito9000 wrote:
Looking for skilled Coders, 3D Modelers, Texture Artists, Etc.*

Basic idea: A good Action Adventure game based around The Old Testament. For more details contact me.

Engine: Undecided. Possibly Unity, UDK or CryEngine

*Note: This game is in the drawingboard stage, if you want to help and the game never get's anywhere, I will be unable to pay anyone.

*Note 2: I would like for this game to have a solid beta stage before starting with KickStarter.

So let me get this straight :

*Your looking for a team to develop a non-BYOND game..on the BYOND forums..
*You aren't able to pay anyone for their time.
*You are wanting to dive straight into a 3D game without even having an engine selected : which tells me you probably can't even use those engines yet.
*You want the "team" to use your idea.
*You bring (effectively) another idea-man to the table and possess no actual game development skills.
*You don't have a prototype

Each one of these individually might not be a deal breaker, but collectively I doubt your going to have much success gathering a "team"

If you don't even have a skill or money to bring the table why should anyone listen to what you have to say?

I am not trying to come across as harsh, but I am simply trying to bring you back to reality about what your trying to do. It takes tons of work to get even a prototype working, let alone a full game and no one in their right mind is going to offer their time and services to you without a (better) foundation for success.
In response to IchiroKeisuke
*Your looking for a team to develop a non-BYOND game..on the BYOND forums..

Nothing wrong with that in particular. I ask for programming help in off-topic occasionally when entering a new language. It has been a while since I've needed to ask for any help since I've definitely submerged my feet in multiple other languages. But, I know that if I ever need help I have 4 go to places: Unity Forums, BYOND Forums, Stackoverflow, or Google.

Mainly BYOND Forums because I know who around here will give the dick responses and who won't. Every forum has them. Especially IRC channels. They're the worst. Just try and get your feet wet in an IRC channel. You'll be chewed up and spit out right in front of everyone. For the most simple questions. Nobody there enjoys helping anyone. They do it like a job as if they're robots.

*You aren't able to pay anyone for their time.

Don't be that guy. If you loved what you do, you'd do it for free. Even if you don't do it full-time. 90% of the people around here aren't working full-time at their job as a pixel artist, programmer, or anything else. That's probably the best assumption for a statistics you'll get. 90% of the people around here doesn't even have a background history of previous projects they're worked on. And half of the people here are unable to even do anything serious off of BYOND because they're either afraid to leave their comfort zone or just don't know how to transition.

If you are of this statistic in anyway, you don't deserve to be paid right off the bat. If anything, the only thing you deserve is a cut of any profits made off of the game instead. And a small cut at that. Until you have something to literally gloat about and hold yourself higher than the other 90% of developers here, don't go around asking for anything. Hope for it. Take an opportunity when you see it and make something of it. Because opportunities can definitely only happen in a lifetime. It's your choice whether that opportunity is worth it and if it will get you to the next level. Do you think you can safely tell the next person you plan to work with, "I worked on the game _____ back in ____" and have them be impressed enough to give you that payment?

Take note, I'm not talking about you being an IT Tech or anything like that. If you've made it there, good for you. It has nothing to do with what I am talking about though. I'm talking about you being competent enough in the current requested skill-set and knowledgeable enough in the current environment (Engine/Art Software/etc).

*You are wanting to dive straight into a 3D game without even having an engine selected : which tells me you probably can't even use those engines yet.

Take it as if he or she wants to discuss this matter with those who are interested in entering the 3D atmosphere with them. Again, nothing wrong with it.

"Don't tip-toe in to the pool. You'll only torture yourself. Dive in and take on the temperature of the cold water all at once." - Eventually they'll never want to pursue a 3D career.

"But then again, don't swim in the deep end if you don't know how to swim." - Work on small projects first. Otherwise you'll only waste your time and energy tackling big things you can never finish in a lifetime. Practice makes perfect. And when you're perfect, big projects will be feasible.

*You want the "team" to use your idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Perhaps you're saying that he's not compensating for ideas? Well, one thing I utterly despised when working with a team I put together was people stepping out of line: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1620724 . Thank you Ter for easily expressing my feelings. Because nothing gets anywhere when nothing has been created yet. When things are made, opt in for changes. But, in the meantime, progress has to be done before changes can be made.

You'll only confuse the team if you add on one new idea after the next because then you have 3 different people arguing about which idea is the best rather than doing their actual jobs.

*You bring (effectively) another idea-man to the table and possess no actual game development skills.

Trial and error. You never started off as a mighty strong developer. I'm sure everyone has had their rough starts. :P

*You don't have a prototype

Can't make something without materials. That's what the team is for. And if you suggest he does the 3D models himself... I'd gladly refuse for him. Because I tried 3D modeling and after spending 6 hours on a damn leg only to realize it was reversed (mind you this was my first human model), I flipped balls and quit modeling right then and there. Let it be known that I realized they were reversed after I finished the second leg. And, no. I couldn't just swap them. Then their thighs would be facing inwards. The foot was what was reversed.

Or do you mean placeholders? He could just be a designer and not a programmer. Everyone has their strongpoint. You need to program to put placeholders together still. Even if it is basic programming, it requires knowledge.

--

I'm not defending him. In fact, I don't approve of this team being formed if the project is going to be out of their league. Instead, I was just pointing out some of my thoughts on what you said. Just thoughts, no arguments. :P
In response to Xirre
Each one of these individually might not be a deal breaker, but collectively I doubt your going to have much success gathering a "team"

Xirre, in 2D money might not matter all the time but in 3D it does. If there isn't up front payment there is a royalty split. Money isn't required but it certainly helps. And I already said that alone isn't going to ruin your chances of success but it certainly lowers them. The best people charge money.

I wouldn't blatantly follow an old quote that's been used in every situation possible. Especially not now since it is featured in a sinister image. Not to mention with a dead man who played a villain and died from OD.

I've always been a generous person. I do odd jobs free because it is a hobby. If people like the idea of me supporting with my hobby, they can feel free to donate or pay me however much they like. Yes, others may not agree with my ideals because it doesn't help them survive. But, I'd prefer to stick by who I truly am. I've been doing things for free since I was a little boy. Yes, it has bitten me in the butt a few times. I could have thousands by now if I charged. But then I'd be living an unhappy life. What's life without meaning?
Oh, mind you. I've received multiple bribe requests to shutdown servers, leak files, and other horrible things for hundreds of dollars. The minds of some people are sickening. Regardless, I stick by my word to remain honest and helpful. I have declined them all.
So dumb.
If you love what you do, you'd do it free. Unless it's how you make a living, then you don't offer freebies.
Best Advice: Do what you want, or what you can.
INB4 lock
In response to Ter13
NNAAAAHH wrote:
If you love what you do, you'd do it free. Unless it's how you make a living, then you don't offer freebies.

Bingo.

Ter13 wrote:
INB4 lock

Well, the only derailing I see is from BT with pointless 1-liners. The least you could do is get creative if you're going to do it. We're still technically talking about the arrangement of a team. Instead, it seems like its gone in-dept as to why you should or shouldn't be going this route. And which route you should be going. And why some people may go another route.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
NNAAAAHH wrote:

Bingo.

That's not necessarily true.

I went to a local workshop a month ago and talked to an old man who has been doing photography his entire life as a hobby and you can tell he loves doing it and is passionate about it. He had photos from everywhere - he had traveled to a lot of different places in his lifetime and captured them beautifully in high resolution.

But back to the point : he didn't do it for free.

Even if there are no costs attached like printing. I am not going to give away my time and effort and I doubt anyone worth their salt would do the same. It's not evil or bad to want compensation for something your good at, even if you love it.

Loving what you do doesn't mean doing it for free if its not how you make your living.

Loving what you do means loving what you do, its as simple as that.
IchiroKeisuke wrote:
I went to a local workshop a month ago and talked to an old man who has been doing photography his entire life as a hobby and you can tell he loves doing it and is passionate about it. He had photos from everywhere - he had traveled to a lot of different places in his lifetime and captured them beautifully in high resolution.

Not all old men are wise. But, that doesn't mean that I am saying that the man isn't wise.

But back to the point : he didn't do it for free.

Even if there are no costs attached like printing. I am not going to give away my time and effort and I doubt anyone worth their salt would do the same. It's not evil or bad to want compensation for something your good at, even if you love it.

It's not evil. It surely isn't. There's nothing wrong with wanting compensation. My point made was that I myself do things without expecting anything in return. The sheer enjoyment of fulfilling my duty is enough. I'm not going to remake Skyrim for a man for free. But I'll definitely make a Pong game no sweat. It doesn't take long. It's good practice. And it makes somebody happy, which makes me happy. I do it in my spare time so it doesn't hurt me and it doesn't hurt them.

Heck, I've started a thing on Twitch where on some Fridays I program a game/idea in a day live. Because apparently people like seeing their ideas come to life.

Loving what you do doesn't mean doing it for free if its not how you make your living.

What if you don't need to do it to make a living? Can you answer that question? Not everyone is in the same situation, having to scrape by completing a job a day just to stay alive. Some people have that peace of mind to not have to live up to a governments expectations to pay bills, taxes, and other crap you've sold yourself in to doing. But, there's nothing wrong with that. Because kids don't pay any of that.

Which is why what I say is mainly for people who don't have those responsibilities. I'm in college. I still live with my mom. I'm young. I do things as a hobby. In the event that I need to start scraping by and making a living, I have a lot of people who'd definitely show some support in such an urgent transition. That doesn't mean I'm not saving up either. I'm managing any bit of money I make and saving it.

Loving what you do means loving what you do, its as simple as that.

Yep. You're right. But, my point made was that I love what I do. And I love who I am too. Remember, this conversation all really spawned from this: "*You aren't able to pay anyone for their time." It's the only reason why I actually started giving some thoughtful replies.

Some people accept the pleasures in life as enough payment. And you may call them crazy. But there are more things in life than money. Even though it feeds you and clothes you and gets you to and from work (gas/bus). Money doesn't buy happiness. But, hey. I'm not saying I wouldn't accept money if the offer stood.

For a job that seems more like a $10.00 job (I wrote a PHP script to talk to a Unity game for a guy I met on an IRC chat), I got $70.00 as a generous tip from the man. Mainly because I said I'd do it for free. He insisted. But, then there are times when I suggest the price. Because I feel like at that moment, it is my chance to move forward. So, I take initiative. There are times when I take compensation. And there are times when I give things for free and get paid anyways.

It's getting late and I can just feel that the more I write the more what I say becomes BS. So, I'd have to say that the moral of the story is that "*You aren't able to pay anyone for their time." doesn't apply to everyone, even if it applies to most people. :)
In response to Xirre
moral of the story is that "*You aren't able to pay anyone for their time." doesn't apply to everyone, even if it applies to most people. :)

Never said it did.

My point was and is that it hurts your chances.

If you can't spend any money. All the people who want money for their services are no longer an option.

If you don't have a good skill. All the people who want to work with someone and not for someone (at least without money) are no longer an option.

If you don't have a prototype. All the people who want proof your idea works are no longer an option.

ect.

See what I am getting at here? I am not - and never did - say you had to have money. I did say it hurts your chances of success.

When you add up all the things he doesn't have yet it becomes very hard to find a willing team and that, is my point.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5