ID:180998

When I run my game, I keep getting a message that says, "Unable to render graphics in DirectX. Falling back on software(GDI) mode. If this condition persists, you may want to update your DirectX drivers and or/dlls (BYOND requires DirectX 8 or later to take advantage of hardware rendering)." I'm running on Windows 7 Home Premium, which supposedly comes with DirectX 11, so I don't really see the problem here. Can anyone point it out and possibly offer a solution or two?
Pinnacle wrote:
When I run my game, I keep getting a message that says, "Unable to render graphics in DirectX. Falling back on software(GDI) mode. If this condition persists, you may want to update your DirectX drivers and or/dlls (BYOND requires DirectX 8 or later to take advantage of hardware rendering)." I'm running on Windows 7 Home Premium, which supposedly comes with DirectX 11, so I don't really see the problem here. Can anyone point it out and possibly offer a solution or two?

Does it only happen with your game or any games you play? The one case in particular that forces software-rendering is the use of window transparency, although I don't believe it should popup the dialog in that case.
In response to Tom
I'm still getting it when I start up Decadence, so I'm guessing that it happens with all games.
In response to Pinnacle
Pinnacle wrote:
I'm still getting it when I start up Decadence, so I'm guessing that it happens with all games.

I'm using DX9 in this new beta (for maptext support), so why don't we see if that fixes your problem first. If it doesn't, we can output more diagnostics to see where it's failing. I'll upload a copy of the latest shortly.
In response to Pinnacle
Pinnacle wrote:

What GPU do you use?
Do you have the drivers installed?
Does this happen on any other games outside of BYOND?
Do you have DirectX installed?
In response to Flame Sage
1. I have an ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics chip.
2. Yes.
3. None that I've come across.
4. I have DirectX 11 working on this computer.
In response to Pinnacle
When you say chip are you referring to one embedded in a laptop?

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ ati-radeon-hd-3000/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-3000-series.aspx

These GPU's are not compatible with DX 11
Try: http://www.byond.com/download/build/BETA/494.1124_byond.zip

(just unzip to your desktop or something and run the byond.exe from there .. that way you don't have to install or overwrite your current BYOND)

This uses DX9. It probably won't fix your problem as DX8 vs 9 are pretty close for our purposes, but we may as well find out. If it still causes the dialog to appear, I'll get you a version with some debug info so we can find out exactly which routine is failing.
In response to Tom
Sorry, it's still not working.
In response to Pinnacle
Pinnacle wrote:
Sorry, it's still not working.

Ok, I'll upload a version tonight that has some debug info, and we can see what's going on.
In response to Pinnacle
Ok, run: http://www.byond.com/download/build/BETA/494.1125_byond.zip

At the bottom of the error message box will be a piece of text that'll help me know where it's going wrong for you.
In response to Tom
It's not saying anything out of the ordinary, but the sprites are rendering as they should now. I'm not sure if it is the version you gave me or the fact that I did some file moving during all of this, but the rendering is willing to run now.
In response to Pinnacle
Pinnacle wrote:
It's not saying anything out of the ordinary, but the sprites are rendering as they should now. I'm not sure if it is the version you gave me or the fact that I did some file moving during all of this, but the rendering is willing to run now.

Are you sure you are running in hardware mode? That is set in your Client->Preferences tab. This version is no different than the last one, except I have it outputting an error message at the bottom of the "Can't run DX" dialog.
In response to Tom
Yes, the preference is still set to 'use graphics hardware to display maps'.
In response to Tom
I tried my hand at running it again after the problem returned quite recently. I got this message in return : "DX error message : Unable to create device".
In response to Pinnacle
Pinnacle wrote:
I tried my hand at running it again after the problem returned quite recently. I got this message in return : "DX error message : Unable to create device".

Damn, that is the most ambiguous one. I bet it has something to do with your display settings-- are you running 24-bit, 32-bit, or what? Could you have possibly changed that prior to receiving this error (when it was working)? I'll look into it more-- I'm sure it's something we're doing wrong, but it's kind of hard to isolate since it works for almost everything.
In response to Tom
My display mode is 32-bit at the moment. This problem started ever since I began running BYOND on my new computer. My old one (a 2004 Dell) didn't have this issue. This is a Compaq (2010, I think) with Windows 7, so this is all quite new to me.
In response to Pinnacle
Pinnacle wrote:
My display mode is 32-bit at the moment. This problem started ever since I began running BYOND on my new computer. My old one (a 2004 Dell) didn't have this issue. This is a Compaq (2010, I think) with Windows 7, so this is all quite new to me.

Well, we'll figure it out. For what it's worth, software mode generally works just as well.