ID:181008

I have been a member of Byond since the End of 05' and one thing i have noticed is that the number of games has decreased dramatically. The reason for this is the "No Rip Policy" that byond started a few years back. They are systematically killing their site. There used to be DOZENS and DOZENS of games (anime in particular) and now there are but a handful...IF THAT!!!

I know people work hard to create games and to have people take them is frustrating to say the least. But not many people have the time to sit at their computer for hours, days, week, or even months to create a game that really has no profitability. And creators cant make money off of anime series based games. But doesn't byond make money off these games when people pay for subscriptions. (thats off topic but another peeve)

When someone takes a source code but changes the Map/Icons. Added RPG systems, Techs, and stories isn't that still original. your modifying a pre-existing code and making an original game. I see all thse games being rejected because its a BSOC rip. but BSOC ripped NWOTS icons and the code was modified into a bleach game. But BSOC isn't around anymore and there are games still being rejected. FOR GOD SAKES THERE ARE ONLY 3 BLEACH GAMES. ALSO Naruto Brazil is a ripp of NWOTS and its still up.

Byond's staff is killing their site. Seriously guys toss that freaking rule out and bring Byond back up to its former Glory where games are in abundance and creative minds can run free!!!!
Downloading a source and copy pasting things around to add another clan isn't creativity, and letting anime games run rampant on the site has caused legal issues for BYOND in the past.

Every version of the game you want to play is still around, they're just hidden from the public eye in order to showcase original, creative works, as well as protect BYOND from future legal problems.
What you're doing right now is complaining about your overall cell count being down after chemotherapy has rid you of cancer.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
What you're doing right now is complaining about your overall cell count being down after chemotherapy has rid you of cancer.

Simply perfect.
If you weren't aware, BYOND's traffic is on a steady(and slow) incline. Granted a lot of the people are lurking rather than playing games. BYOND has also been slowly gaining a surplus of new creative games in the past year or so. There has also been a very small addition of a couple new developers who actually know what the hell their doing.

Now, instead of complaining over your precious low-bit, laggy and fugly anime games being removed, why not do something about your pseudo claim of BYOND's death and develop something original and creative to negate it?
Jason515 wrote:
I have been a member of Byond since the End of 05' and one thing i have noticed is that the number of games has decreased dramatically. The reason for this is the "No Rip Policy" that byond started a few years back. They are systematically killing their site. There used to be DOZENS and DOZENS of games (anime in particular) and now there are but a handful...IF THAT!!!

I as well have been a member since late of 05. Do you see me complaining about loss of games? No, because majority were rips that caused legal issues. Presuming from you first paragraph I find you lacking sense of how to make a game yourself, and just want to make a rip. This being the case please motivate yourself to read the guide and obtain the knowledge being handed to you practically. It's free and beneficial to you if you use it that way. As I got derailed off topic from my rant and advice for you; what BYOND truly lost was it's originality, and is making a slow but sure progress back into that state. I've ranted so much about stuff it truly gets you no where unless you take action to do something about it. I'm glad about the "No Rip Policy" it is one of the glorious things byond has implemented. If you want to feel what BYOND stands for you really can't but you can as well with the few games that are beautiful. Few examples of what BYOND stands for is My Life as a Spy created by Skysaw, Omega Mall by Stad, Castle by "I can't recall creator off the top of my head", Nes by silk productions, these games really show what BYOND was meant to be. Please read the history of BYOND before speaking about it.

I know people work hard to create games and to have people take them is frustrating to say the least. But not many people have the time to sit at their computer for hours, days, week, or even months to create a game that really has no profitability. And creators cant make money off of anime series based games. But doesn't byond make money off these games when people pay for subscriptions. (thats off topic but another peeve)

Simple as I put it No Time, No Effort, No patience = failure. If you can't muster the time up to comprehend the DM language and spare an hour to put work into a game than you should not be a developer. If people boost their motivation like I finally came about doing you can make progress in doing something to help BYOND retain it's name. I'm not the best and I'm not bragging I have no games, demos, libs to show as of now, but I will once I complete the guide, and find resources to better my knowledge in DM. Back to the "No Time" If one does not have time then once again should not be a developer. I currently work two jobs and go to school, and manage time in. No great games come quickly. It takes time, hence why games take a year of work to be remotely great. Before even making a game takes time coming up with a draft of what you want. As I learn DM I'm still revising my draft for my first game. I hope you learn something from what I speak to you. As I have been where you are currently at. I am not afraid to admit I was a newb at once. I was feeble minded and not intelligent and half the crap I said did not make a point and was even listened to. So please heed my information to save yourself from embarrassment and failure. I'm not trying to be mean and hurtful I'm speaking from experience.

When someone takes a source code but changes the Map/Icons. Added RPG systems, Techs, and stories isn't that still original. your modifying a pre-existing code and making an original game. I see all thse games being rejected because its a BSOC rip. but BSOC ripped NWOTS icons and the code was modified into a bleach game. But BSOC isn't around anymore and there are games still being rejected. FOR GOD SAKES THERE ARE ONLY 3 BLEACH GAMES. ALSO Naruto Brazil is a ripp of NWOTS and its still up.

This whole section of crap is called being LAZY.

Byond's staff is killing their site. Seriously guys toss that freaking rule out and bring Byond back up to its former Glory where games are in abundance and creative minds can run free!!!!

Byond staff is not killing their site except in one matter. Tom spoke of removing BYOND Members customization to their webpage which saddens me greatly. It was a great way to portray who you are and what kind of games you will be bringing to the table. A nice little feature which we got a chance to create something to call our own little home on the web. Anyways you have no evidence to show the community they are killing their website by adding the "No Rip Policy" in my personal outlooks on it; I was pleased to see the RIPS go and be rid of or at least hidden from the eyes who want to see true originality.

Thanks for reading,
ECA

P.S. Take what I said into great consideration as I only want you to better yourself.
In response to EclipseCovertAgent
Maybe?
Corax Software wrote:
Multiple accounts?

Correct Corax
In response to Darker Legends
Darker Legends wrote:

Don't let a date deceive you partner :). I have lurked in the shadows for quite some time, and done some stuff that I wasn't proud of. Hey we all were weak and unintelligent at one time. It's just now that I decided to put myself out their and take a role into BYOND society. To show my capabilities, benefit BYOND, and accomplish my goals. I hope appreciate the quote now "don't judge a book by it's cover" :).

Thanks,
ECA
Regardless of how good BYOND looks to hardcore anime fans, it doesn't make BYOND look good to the audience BYOND prefers: players who want to experience the internet dreams of each other. Although fangames may be fun to make and play, BYOND is like your parents; they just want you to succeed in the long run doing something worthwhile. Some parents have different opinions; BYOND wants you to make your own net dream, not recreate that of another person.

I wonder: when people play anime games on BYOND, are they more grateful to the game's creator, or to the creator of the series? Make your own games series and that could be you they're thinking most highly of.
In response to Kaiochao
Doesn't matter how you want to slice it. You can say OH YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL or blah blah blah whatever who the hell cares. The fact remains as a consumer, I would not be satisfied with this product.
In response to Enzuigiri
Then don't buy it.
In response to SuperAntx
AlexandraErin likes this.
You have the mind of a man with a bullet lodged in his brain and have no idea what the word 'creativity' means.
Jason515 wrote:

I stared at this line for about a good 4 minutes simply trying to process the amount of stupidity located herein. I physically cannot render that much ignorance into one comprehensive thought, so let be break it down into several statements.

"Byond's staff is killing their site."

Umm, unless you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years, BYOND has always been securing their longevity over the years, never making any serious moves that are detrimental to the community. Tom and Lummox cleaned up a lot of BYOND by adding that rule.

"Seriously guys toss that freaking rule out and bring Byond back up to its former Glory where games are in abundance and creative minds can run free!!!!"

Honestly? I laughed at this, very harshly aloud. BYOND's "Glory Days" were not held during the reign of Awful Anime Games clogging up the hub space. BYOND's "Glory Days" are yet to come, however I am hopeful that it will be very soon, due to the new features that are soon to be added. We will be able to broaden the expanse of computer gamers that play the games on our website. Rips are the apotheosis of uncreative games. I highly suggest you think before speaking the next moment that you have some radical epiphany about "BYOND is dying".