ID:181033

I don't know how many of you like to laugh at the pitiful attempts of some of the fangames in getting listed, but there seems to be some small issue of "source."

As you all should be aware, there is a restriction on BYOND about listing games that are generally the same game. What this does to rip crowd is pushes them out completely. *Poof* However it does raise an issue with passing of source ownership.

Person A makes a game
Person A gets tired of the game and sells source to Person B
Person B tries to publish game but cannot because the source was not edited enough to be "different" from game A.
Person B complains and a computer gets tossed out the window. What a waste of hard-drive space.

Well I've come up with a few solutions.

1. Before any source can be "sold," BYOND staff must be notified and keep track of what is being sold. The original game would have to be removed from the hub because of the change of ownership. (Generally when you sell land, you no longer own said land.)

2. Do not permit "source selling" and force people to make something new out of existing source code sold to them.

3. Do nothing about it.

Solution 1 requires more work on BYOND Staff's part. I don't imagine sources are being sold on a daily basis, but there may be identity issues, and then you have to confirm that the person who made the source really made the source. It creates headache, but it would settle the problem.

Solution 2 is my favourite because it's really the most sensible thing to do. It requires no extra moderation, and it might tone down this "source selling" (which I find highly suspect in the first place)

Solution 3 just keeps everything the same, and I get to see my weekly drama in feedback.
If we are talking about fan-games then I doubt the BYOND staff want to be involved in anything that has to do with selling the source codes. As this would most likely entail the sale of copy righted material (in one way or another) which as we all know is illegal.
Lugia319 wrote:
As you all should be aware, there is a restriction on BYOND about listing games that are generally the same game.

Not for long I heard someone is making an unofficial hub.