ID:181039

I've played games for as long as I can remember and as a child I would become perfectly immersed in a game to the point at witch I would mentally construct exterior stories and reasoning to justify the environments and explain the experience. This is in the same way a child sees a person with a mask on yet doesn't know there is someone behind the masks. Basically my gaming experience in early life was similar to a very complex game of peeka boo.

It's only now that I find myself rediscovering this wonder with the virtual world and surprisingly a spiritual connection to some of the environments.

I was wondering if anyone has thought about games like this before or perhaps can see there may be something more to them?
Actually that's how professional games are made. However today's people often ignore imagination and have to be told what to do/etc.
In response to Zaoshi
Fixing it...
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
Actually that's how professional games are made. However today's people often ignore imagination and have to be told what to do/etc.

I'm fairly sure E.A makes games for profit. How the best games are made, yea sure I would agree but not all games especially corporate projects. I find I enjoy games that come from the new guys in the market, like Raven, Pandemic, etc. They usually get eaten by larger companies though.
In response to Despa1r
For example I played Oblivion, Might & Magic, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect and I liked the freedom. Yes there are quests and some areas not accessible unless you do the quest, but you can go kill random monsters and progress/get into the story. While most MMOs and Shooters hardly provide any freedom, you are just teleported to some area and are told what to do, sometimes not even followed by any kind of story.
In response to Zaoshi
There's a name for that, it's called freeroam/sandbox games. Not all games want to be like this, so just avoid them instead of bashing them.
In response to Despa1r
New guys? Raven has been around since 1990, and is now part of activision. Pandemic was founded in 1998 and was purchased by EA in 2007 then closed. Your right about a lot of good studios getting sucked up my large corps, however I think your a bit disconnected if you consider those two among the new guys.