ID:1810609

(See the best response by Hedgemistress.)
When I try to host, it says that it can't be reached by players. I use the right port, I am port forwarded and i have hosted before. Last time i hosted was 2-3 months ago. Any reasons to why I can't host anymore?
Best response
Have you checked that the local IP address assigned to your computer is still the same one that the port is being forwarded to?
What do you mean? And i noticed that now when i host it says something like 127.0.0.1:1234 when it used to be (my ip):1234
Okay.

If you're using a router (which you must be if you're port forwarding) then your computer has its own local IP address on the network. This will probably be 192.168.0.something, though it can vary depending on your router's manufacturer. This is your internal IP address, the address of your computer on the network, not your computer on the internet. It means nothing to anyone outside your network.

Your router itself has an IP address that is assigned by your ISP. When you go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it says "YOUR IP ADDRESS IS BLAH DE BLAH DE BLAH", this is what your router's IP address. This is your external IP address, the address of your network on the internet.

That 127.0.0.1 you're seeing is the "localhost address". Its your computer address, relative to itself. It's like "src", in BYOND coding terms, or "self" in other programming languages. When you connect to your own game from your own computer, you can always use 127.0.0.1 but that won't work from any other location, even on your own router.

The reason port forwarding exists is because people can't reach your game from outside your network using your own internal IP address, and connecting to the external IP address only gets them to the router.

You can test that your hosting is set up right by trying to connect to the game using your external IP address :1234. This gives you the same experience anyone coming off the wider internet would give.

When you set up port forwarding, you would have been setting up a forward from the external IP address you were assigned at the time to the internal IP address your computer was assigned at the time. Either of these values could change, particularly when the router is reset or your computer joins or leaves the network.

So the first thing I would do is check out your port forwarding to make sure the IP address that it forwards to is still the IP address your computer is actually at. If it is still the same, then you're probably looking at a firewall problem.

Either way, the most likely explanation is that something changed or was reset in your setup.