ID:181113

Would byond help if I decided to go to school for graphic design in games(like all artwork involved)I am no genius,so coding would be a waste of my time.I am tired of getting laid off my job and going getting another,I want something where i can actually make a living.Would making a byond game help in case a school ask for sometime of show for my artistic skill or what not.

Im 21 and yea i got hit in the head into reality too late,but I see the video game industry doesnt get affected much since people are willing to buy games all time no matter whats going on around them.Im not much for games so I dont know if this would be a good career,But i have the artistic skill i believe,just hard to show on computer since im more of a pencil pen type artist.

So thanks for any opinions,or advice from people who have taken this career choice,or just have some experience in this.

EDIT:sorry if this is the wrong section.
My suggestion is make a portfolio of drawn art, dabble in digital art, spriting, and modeling(I suggest blender 3d, as it's free). If you want to get into school for graphical arts, that's your best bet, show a variety, put your best stuff up front(probably drawn art, as you're already comfortable with that), and take the classes you need to improve your game related skills.

On the topic of the video game industry suffering, it might not seem like it from the outside, and while it's fairly stable, there isn't a ton of room for growth in the big companies. They're mostly focused on putting out the games they know will make money, and they already have teams for that. This is due to the fact that games are becoming ever more expensive to produce, and pirating is becoming ever more an issue with the internet being as open and fast as it is.

There are companies hiring, and there are jobs, but just like any other industry, it's as much about who you know as it is what you know.

Granted, all of this is outside observation and a bit of digging, I don't work in the industry, so I'm sure there is someone around who knows better than I do.
Of course it would help, any experience in the related field itself bodes well for placing on resumes. I'm not applying for game programming positions as of yet for example, but the object oriented programming experience gained from byond has possibly worked in my favor...
In response to Robertbanks2
Robertbanks2 wrote:
My suggestion is make a portfolio of drawn art, dabble in digital art, spriting, and modeling(I suggest blender 3d, as it's free). If you want to get into school for graphical arts, that's your best bet, show a variety, put your best stuff up front(probably drawn art, as you're already comfortable with that), and take the classes you need to improve your game related skills.

This is more like a must in the game industry, having a portfolio to demonstrate your skills if you're just starting out. Different if you have some experience.
Of course they also look for your teamwork skills as an artist.

On the topic of the video game industry suffering, it might not seem like it from the outside, and while it's fairly stable, there isn't a ton of room for growth in the big companies. They're mostly focused on putting out the games they know will make money, and they already have teams for that. This is due to the fact that games are becoming ever more expensive to produce, and pirating is becoming ever more an issue with the internet being as open and fast as it is.

Pirating is more of an issue with PC, so it's more or less something a company would avoid.

However, it's cheaper to develop on the PC for a start-up company as opposed to getting a license for game consoles. Of course, they could always focus on mobile apps or web browser games, but it's rather the limitations that hinder them.

Not only due they release games they know make money, they also aim for games that can potentially make monkey. Of course that's more of a big company thing.

There are companies hiring, and there are jobs, but just like any other industry, it's as much about who you know as it is what you know.

It's not only who you know, but where you worked. If you worked at some underground company that never released a game and disbanded. It can still be used in an interview, since they normally ask you about that. Mostly your experience at that company, how your team worked, dealt with stress and all that.

Also, just because you worked with somebody before, doesn't mean you'll get a job where they're at too. It's also a rep-based industry. If you have poor team work ethics, the chance of you being hired can be on par with someone who has no experience.