ID:1813142

(See the best response by Mightymo.)
I am learning coding bit by bit, but I got a few questions as to how and go about it.

I am incredibly pussy-scared to mess up coding, and make errors. You will get notified, but does byond notify you of EVERY error?

Can errors or messy code slip by, only to be found by intensive searching for hours on end?

How do you go about and code, do you make endless backups like me or?

Any tips on avoiding any mistakes, or messing up the source completely?

Thanks in advance.

I got almost 1gb in backups, from every day I code in something new, however small it may be...
Best response
Program incrementally. Don't program whole pages and then test it, test it as you go. This will make it much less likely that you have to go back and hunt for errors. Also, yes, backups are good.
Thanks a bunch MightyMo, any more tips?

If anyone has any more tips, I'd be glad to hear it.

Like where and how to back up, how to code avoiding making mistakes.

How to know to find an error or messy code, when byond doesn't necessarily give an error.
I think those often come down to really understanding the language, and practice. Once you know what you are doing, it is much easier to know what to put down. The same applies to fixing bugs. Once you deal with it enough, you learn how to quickly locate them.

That said, organizing and commenting your code can be helpful. If a certain behavior is wrong, you should be able to directly jump to that area, rather than scanning through your code.
So if a Boar lets say doesn't charge, but instead just walks towards a player, even though you coded a charge for it.

You could just skip to there :)

And commenting, got it :)
Keep debug on via #define debug whenever you're testing. Use the log to find runtime errors, and the profiler to watch out for anything too intensive. Although profiling is usually only useful when you have at least a few people actively playing.

I'd say back up your whole source once a day, or after any major changes. Delete old back ups daily as well, except on anything you think you might need to revert changes on later.

These are mostly just personal practices of mine, mind you, and I don't always do it all. I'm bad about not always doing the back ups. It's just something general that has helped me.