ID:1813412

Resolved
Grids now support the highlight-color parameter, just like info controls do. Objects and links will both be highlighted.
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
When the mouse goes over an atom embedded in a statpanel, the text color changes to a customizable highlight color as a key to the fact that it is an interactive element. I would like to request the same functionality for grids.

The lack of visible feedback is especially jarring when the grid uses small icons in order to get around the vertical-align problem, as there's not nearly as much to make the atoms stand out.
This would be a sweet feature, but there are ways to implement this yourself (although it isn't the most responsive thing since it's not client sided).

If you have the grid capture mouse events, you can rebuild the grid and use output() to change the color of the text and background of each grid cell with CSS.

Give me a moment to see if I can find an example of this in my projects.
I have no reason to track mouse-overs outside of this, so I'd really rather not start. I realized when I made this request that it's possible to approximate it with server-side interactions; to make it clear, what I'm requesting is the same client-side functionality built into stat panels.
Does the :hover CSS specifier work in the grid's CSS?
That's a good question. I'll play with it next time I'm in DM.
Honestly, if not, it might be more ideal to switch to a browser element rather than a grid and develop your own mechanism for communicating data to it from the server, and then just do your laying out on the client-side with Javascript, CSS, and HTML.

I've always found browsers to be more ideal for controls than the default GDI UI elements in DreamSeeker.
"Ideal" is a subjective concept. You just described a nightmare scenario that would end my current project, if it were the only alternative.

If BYOND's not doing the heavy lifting, then I have no reason to be here. If something's not doing that work, I don't have the time or energy to make this game.

If I can't make the grid work with minimal effort, I'll just go back to statpanels, which did everything I needed them to. The traffic/overhead concerns that led me to substitute grids were borrowing against potential future trouble.
By the way, you can communicate to Javascript from DM:

usr << output("arg1&arg2&arg3","browserid:javascriptFunction")

and you can call verb in DM from javascript:

window.location = "byond://?winset command=someverb " + encodeURIComponent(arg1) + " " + encodeURIComponent(arg2);

Calling winset/winget from client-side javascript is a relatively new feature since you've been gone.

But if that's not up your alley, that's perfectly fine.
Yeah, I'm a good five more years out of touch with javascript than I am with DM, and I don't have the time or inclination to brush up on it right now. In addition to making a game in my spare time, I have writing to do, I am editing an anthology to benefit a friend's medical bills, and I am compiling multiple publications for a con that I belong to.

For now, I'll take what BYOND does for me in and of itself and make the best game that I can with that. The interface can always be improved after the game is in a stable and persistently playable form. That's why I'm keeping the back end code independent of the UI to as great an extent as I can.

It just seems likely to me that grids could do what statpanels already do, on the client side, without much work. If it's not the case or if it's deemed not worth it when there are workarounds, I'll shrug and move on.
This and the vertical alignment issue should both be pretty feasible, so they're high on my to-do list.
Excellent! Thank you very much.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Grids now support the highlight-color parameter, just like info controls do. Objects and links will both be highlighted.