ID:181399

I will no longer be posting in the forums. I will only be playing games and programming on my own, releasing them in my list of around 250 friends, most of which are very active.

What caused me to leave? This:

I decided that since I am a terrible person, I should no longer contribute anything here. I may move on to another program known as Unity.

For one last, little smile, define:forum

Darkjohn66 wrote:
I decided that since I am a terrible person, I should no longer contribute anything here. I may move on to another program known as Unity.

You are not a terrible person. It is just the way you go about insulting those who rip: I would say it’s somewhat immature and that it does not benefit anyone within this community. Quit wasting your time preaching to rippers as to why their actions are frowned upon. It is clear that you are not their target audience, so your opinion means nothing to them. What they see as fun is being able to run their 'own' game with numerous friends. Your goal is exactly the same as theirs, to have fun. The way they go about achieving it differs from you, but why should they relinquish their goal (having fun), or how they go about attaining it, for you?

For one last, little smile, define:forum

a public meeting or assembly for open discussion

FYI, all social mediums have rules and moderators who enforce them. You are entitled to your own opinion, but when that opinion starts to include distasteful "attacks" against others, it is no longer welcomed.

If you want to cease using these forums due to a small warning given by Schnitzelnagler, then that is your prerogative. But I were in your shoes, I would place my focus on myself and let the rippers be.
I didn't see anything in that warning saying you were a bad person. All I saw was that it asked you to stop attacking people on the forums based on your guess as to whether or not they were working from a ripped source, and contribute in a positive way.

Let's look at what really happened in that deleted subthread. You thought the *= operator was proof of a rip just because a newbie used it. That's common in many languages and appears in many a valid demo or code snippet a newbie could have been working with to learn; it was a ridiculous basis on which to impugn someone's ethics. After the person you accused of ripping responded rather politely, you accused him of disrespect, for reasons I frankly still can't understand. A moderator saw that your original post there was basically little more than a dressed-up flame, and that the argument you started was derailing the thread. Because you've done this a lot, you were sent another warning.

You'll notice the warning did not tell you to stop posting on the forums; the moderator could have simply banned you if that was the case. He said to stop attacking other users on your rip crusade, and to be positive and constructive instead. If you're withdrawing from the forums because you feel you're incapable of following those guidelines, then I respect your self-appraisal and hope that if you feel this has changed in the future, you'll return to post more helpfully later on. If on the other hand this is just because you feel slighted, well, you weren't; the moderator simply told you that your posts were inappropriate and what you could do to improve them. He treated you with more respect than you showed the newbie you tore into.

I'll also point out that while the definition of the word forum does include "open discussion", nowhere does that rule out enforcing standards of good conduct. In fact, for a forum to produce anything of value some kind of decorum is absolutely essential.

Lummox JR
BYOND Staff protects people who rip those those forgotten Naruto/Dragonball games, but instantly attacks when someone rips Naruto GOA. This is just sad...

Any chance I could get added to your list of friends? I'd like to play something new and original, especially know a person with similar point of view.
I didn't know that going out and killing non-believers owns. As far as I'm concerned, the Crusades are one of the most embarrassing parts of Christianity's history, something that's often used against Christianity.

As far as you rage-quitting the forums, I think you're taking this a little too far. All that warning told you was not to talk down people on the forums, but to be more positive and less insulting. I don't see what's so difficult about that. It's not like he's telling you to stop killing Muslims, he's telling you to be nice, really.
In response to Fugsnarf
Another embarrassing part would be nagging people who swear, too. Let people "go to hell" if they want to, because I'm quite tired of getting told that for even saying "dammit" by people.

Darkjohn's been around longer than me if I recall, so it's a shame to see you go. Also, another Unity follower? <_<
In response to Moonlight Memento
yea, Unitiy's gathering followers for its 3d crusade :P. it seems pretty good, but im more of a 2d game person :D
In response to Masschaos100
Although it's mainly tailored to 3D games, you can tweak it just right to make 2D games pretty easily if I'm not mistaken. Nonetheless, I still find more potential with BYOND.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Although it's mainly tailored to 3D games, you can tweak it just right to make 2D games pretty easily if I'm not mistaken. Nonetheless, I still find more potential with BYOND.

More potential? If I recall correctly, Unity can deploy across 5-6 different platforms with no code changes, or so they were advertising. Then there's the different code languages you can use with it, I think. I don't really like it that much, but that's what I remember reading about it.
In response to DivineTraveller
Unity does have a Wiki.
DivineTraveller wrote:
More potential? If I recall correctly, Unity can deploy across 5-6 different platforms with no code changes, or so they were advertising. Then there's the different code languages you can use with it, I think. I don't really like it that much, but that's what I remember reading about it.

Yeah, you're right about that. The reason I lean more towards BYOND though is for both the ease of the DM language to program with and learn, and also the built-in online capabilities. Not only that, but the community is always ready to play online games and always looking. You have an instant player base, an easy language to program with, and instant online capabilities. Sure, you don't have 3D, but I'm sick of online 3D games anyways. That last sentence is merely subjective though, but it's one reason I don't mind BYOND's lack of 3D capabilities.
In response to Fugsnarf
People can barely make good, unique 2D art here for generic anime game, let alone 3D...
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
DivineTraveller wrote:

Yeah, you're right about that. The reason I lean more towards BYOND though is for both the ease of the DM language to program with and learn, and also the built-in online capabilities. Not only that, but the community is always ready to play online games and always looking. You have an instant player base, an easy language to program with, and instant online capabilities. Sure, you don't have 3D, but I'm sick of online 3D games anyways. That last sentence is merely subjective though, but it's one reason I don't mind BYOND's lack of 3D capabilities.

Well, DerDragon is actually working on a 3D language that has a similar syntax as BYOND, as seen either on the link prior, or here.
I'll agree with you on ease of use, it's one of the main reasons I've been here ever. I can't agree with an instant playerbase, although, it's much easier to advertise with a community present than none at all, but the most community I've had was about six people. Maybe I should actually have finished a game first, though.
Six good players are better than seventy rambunctious 12 year olds.
In response to OrangeWeapons
...what? That doesn't seem relevant to what I said at all, unless it's an inside joke?
Yes, it was a joke about the main administrator/co-creator of Naruto GOA spending 95% of his time on his project figuring out pointless reasons to abuse his moderation power, and then doing so.