Cursed Luck

by DanteVFenris
Cursed Luck
A story about the unluckiest man alive
ID:1814478

So lets hope you guys dont break my game too much. First time im hosting with player interaction. Tell me all the things that break. There theortically should be no game breaking glitches however.

Also lets hope my network can support players with no lag. Ive never done this before so I hope everything all works.

http://www.byond.com/games/DanteVFenris/Unluckiest
okay we found hotkey glitch. Thankfully someone noticed that hotkeys work when you load a character. This is because i have a list of abilities, its created on load but not when you create a new character. Quick fix is load your character. tomorrow evening that will be fixed as well as maybe some other minour changes
well this is my personal computer so im sorry for anyone that missed it but i have to turn it off. If you are from different time zones and this is your optimal time to play than leave a message below and ill leave it on all night saturday. Anyways thank you so much, i was really glad so many enjoyed it it means a lot to me and wants me to do better. I still have a lot to add, and ill keep on working
game is up again, but i will be working
(sigh) I see people went fishing hahaha i hoped no one would.
I forgot to write down my experience. Overall despite the game not being near complete, I really enjoyed it.
I noticed a lot of neat features that really made me rethink my own design *which is pretty awesome imo*
I really like the ability to approach npcs and click an interaction button to have them speak to you.
Text was nicely formatted.

I noticed a lot of lag when I played, not sure what causes that but that can always be fixed.

Combat was a bit generic but still interesting. I feel it could be tweaked a bit in some ways to make it feel more polished. Currently you can pretty much spam attacks and kill anything you are strong enough to defeat and in rare cases some things you aren't able to normally defeat.

I think it would be cool to be able to stun an enemy a bit less often, with the trade off being that you deal extra damage to a stunned enemy.(just an idea)

I never got to test any skills, or go fishing, or crafting or anything of that nature. Overall my experience was positive and I enjoyed it- especially those hints about how the story may be set up (the info I gathered from the npcs). It definitely made me curious as to what happened in the world of Cursed Luck.

Good job keep up the good work.
In response to Avidanimefan
About the enemies being weak. That was on purpose if there too strong people will feel disencouraged but there is a feature in my game that I removed for testing. You are able to go on quests. These quests can choose hard or easy. If you choose hard it will buff the enemies for that quest and add components to their AI. So if people want the challenge I did make an opinion.

Yes guard could always be tweaked. I'll take the feedback and think on it.

And thank you I really enjoy the feedback
Okay so I didn't get to play a lot, but here are a few things I got from the little bit I did.

I noticed when I ran far to the left, there was black space on the map. I'm guessing that's from you either not knowing about, or forgetting to set the clients perspective var. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if I am right...

client
perspective = EDGE_PERSPECTIVE

That will fix it. Next I went to fight the enemies, I was surprised by their lack of movement, but expected that is temporarily. It was a decent fight, same concerns as Avid about how generic it was, but then I got a drop... And no clue how to use any of it.

I tried clicking, F, and everything else I could think of except maybe right clicking. I think I got caught up the selector with keyboard and forgot. I must of missed something, but if I did then other new players may too. The interface/GUI does seem to have a lot of potential though, so great work there!

Finally, the last thing is another new player perspective bit. For some reason I couldn't figure out how to talk to the NPC's and such. My instinct was to use F, or that I wasn't aware of a control key. I want to say I tried clicking, but maybe it was that. I'm not sure.

All of this is pretty minor, but I just wanted to offer the perspective of a new player in case it could help out. You're off to a great start, so I hope you see this project through to completion.
In response to Toddab503
There was a sign that told you how to use items. P to pause and e to select

To talk to people you just bump into them and click the "talk" option on the wheel.

Yea AI can move. Just currently they'll only move when you attack them. If you mean you want them to follow you without attacking? Or do you mean more and what would more mean? I thought how they could knock you back and teleport caused you to move more. So what type of behaviour would make it funner?

And yea thank you. I know I have a lot of complex systems in place. And I need proper tutorials. Next time this game will be opened it will.

The edge thing was mainly because I didn't know people cared or if it was better to have it on or off. If you think it's better I'll put it on.

Also I do have plans for improving AI. Though the AI might get progressivly more entertaining as you fight stronger and stronger enemies. Some of my ideas: AI now uses block system, and AI can string together combo abilities effectivley. Example enemy knocks you back and than proceeds to shoot a projectile with. Which if you precede to dodge will than teleport you behind them

Thank you I enjoy your feedback:)
In response to Toddab503
I'll put my game online soon while Im writing my essay on illness anxiety disorder. I can guide you through it while writing.
ah screw it. I actually did want someone to see my hidden area. So it now no longer has any requirments. One of the doors at the peer town is open able. This doesn't reset at the moment so only one person can experience it to its full extent.

Also I will be logged in for a few hours. So if anyone who was having trouble using classes I will guide you how do you can tell me your opinions on them.
As far as the AI goes. I've always seen enemies wander around a little, although granted slowly, even when not in combat. Spicing combat up will probably happen on its own just by getting involved with enemies that have skills along with your own.

Everything seems pretty solid. The games looking to be fun, and has a lot of potential. Also that hidden area... Geeeeze. Definitely a very interesting, and creepy little place. I was expecting an epic battle at the end, but enjoyed the little hint of story.
In response to Toddab503
Yes I may know why those enemies are wondering around. Just due to some incomplete code.

Also yea that area is still not complete. As you can tell with those umm "enemies" not responding. Also thank god you found it, I thought you'd miss that little puzzle. I was thinking a jump scare at end but boss might work too. Hmmm I'll have to think on it.

Thank you a lot :)
In response to DanteVFenris
Oh no, I didn't mean that yours do. I meant that's what I think they should do. As it stands they're idle until provoked, usually enemies wander around a little near their spawn in most games that I've seen. Just moving a little here and there until provoked.

Yeah, that makes sense but I definitely enjoyed the overall atmosphere and set up. Haha I'm way to inquisitive to of missed that. I figured you wouldn't send me in there without there being SOMETHING at the end. I just had to figure out what. The graphics seemed to increase in quality within there, too.

You're welcome! I'll be keeping an eye out for how this game goes.
I'm worried that enemies moving around will cause more lag. Maybe I'm just being over dramatic about that though.

The graphics increased. Hmmm probably cause I have an eye for picking out the details for those types of things.

Well thank you again and I'll slowly keep on building on top of what I have.
okay thank you all for trying it out. My game is now closed forever mwhaha.
Forever? Welp, time to gather the mob and supply them with torches and pitch forks.

Also when I said wander, I meant only when players are in view or nearly in view. They turn off if no player can see them, so it actually shouldn't be much of a lag concern at all. Friends of mine and I have done it numerous times.
In response to Toddab503
oh yes i know of that trick, i might do it i just want to see how stable it is after all my core features are in. I am aiming for a large player base. Though my expectations aren't high I just won't wrest until I do.

haha let them come at me.

Though it will be unplayable for a while. Next time it releases i plan for the first zone to be completed. Which will be when a lot of my primary concepts are done and making new zones and new content should be a breeze after that(well not art wise). Though I don't just want to create more I also want to constantly experiment with new game play experiences some rather inspired by other games or others semi original.