In response to 2DExtremeProductions
2DExtremeProductions wrote:
I understand those but isnt that what im asking for? What specs are needed to run a BYOND world with a good amount of players on it with none or relatively low amount of lag.

That's the problem that I tried to explain (and obviously failed) earlier on. You are the only one with access to the source code and profiler, so you are the only one that could possibly know the answer. There is no common standard for resource usage on BYOND games, because there is no such thing as a common game (unless you count the game with the most modifications as standard, in which case figures are going to look rather bad, because these happen to be within the worst performing games, thanks to their creator's inherit lack of fundamental knowledge).
You are going the right way by wanting to spend the least for best results, but you're under the wrong assumption that every action/RPG game with x players would score the same results (which is not your fault, but a common misunderstanding around BYOND).

BYOND user X telling you that her game Y needs resource Z is going to do you no good, unless you want to host specific game Y.

If you want an advice, then create your game and hire Kuraudo (cheap, yet reliable and experienced) to look through your finished work. He'll likely tell you a lot of points where you can seriously save yourself trouble and a couple of points where you're massively wasting resources.
After adjusting your game accordingly, talk to Airjoe and find a server that fits your need. The benefit is that he knows what he's talking about and he is nice enough to find a deal that suits your need by trial and error if the need arises (which it shouldn't as Kuraudo could likely provide figures after having studied your source code).

That might sound like you're going to waste money, but in the long term, you're not only going to actually save, but even learn and provide your customers with a more pleasant experience.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
guys i have to add my 2 cents 1 your looking for unrealistic players the most players i ever seen on a game was 133 that was on naruto goa(go ask him what he uses) so you wont need more than 150-200 max players 2 how bout you do a search of games under advanced search dont type anything and only check the now live box(this will show all of the games with games now live starting with most players to one game(naruto GOA being first usually with bleach las noches being second with like 122 players to 1 game the most players in total spread across many games is probaby DBZ:HU(dragon ball z heroes united) so these are the people you should ask about hosting the maker of the games also the only hosting i heard of was slicehost heres a tut on how to use it

http://www.byond.com/members/ DreamMakers?command=view_post&post=83474
In response to Devilkingx
Confucius says, replying to wrong post like talking to wall.
The person you should have replied to was the original poster, though you do not really contribute much to the topic that wasn't elaborated before.
On a related note, it isn't exactly bad to be willing and try to push the limits, so the goal of 300 players is, through unrealistic, still desirable.
Personally, I wouldn't use Slicehost for such a task, given that you'd have to pay 100$ a month for 900 GB monthly transfer, whereas I'd get 1000 GB monthly transfer for 11 $ on a provider suggested above in this thread.
In response to Devilkingx
Devilkingx wrote:
guys i have to add my 2 cents 1 your looking for unrealistic players the most players i ever seen on a game was 133 that was on naruto goa(go ask him what he uses) so you wont need more than 150-200 max players

Unrealistic player count? BYOND is used by many, over 5,000 right now, just because one game has X amount of players doesent mean another cant surpass it. Preparing for 6% of the community doesent seem that much, not saying that its easy, not at all. Never said Id get that many clients, but it would be nice to be prepared for it. Years ago, 100 players in one game wasnt even thought of, now, its there.

There are many reasons why a game doesent get as many clients, is it actually good? bug free(impossible!)? fun gameplay? engaging? goals? advertised?

GOA as an example...Looks good, plays well. Training is very boring, missions are lame, some techs are bugged, lack of clans, hasnt updated in a very long time. All the little details of the anime or manga(I dont read it) arent there, it lacks way too much. Its a primitive unfinished design, seems like a small project to me, not a real fan game.

Same can be said about all other Fan games in here. And original games, well they arent very popular it seems, and im not into casual/turn based ones.

The fact is, there is not a real killer BYOND game yet. But sooner or later, there will be.

2 how bout you do a search of games under advanced search dont type anything and only check the now live box(this will show all of the games with games now live starting with most players to one game(naruto GOA being first usually with bleach las noches being second with like 122 players to 1 game the most players in total spread across many games is probaby DBZ:HU(dragon ball z heroes united)

A fact is, that I did try awhile back, to some games. All they do is ask why, and never help really. Hence I am here, where the most experienced people are. Player counts dont mean better personality or developer. Im sure I took the best route. And I already have the answer that I was looking for.

so these are the people you should ask about hosting the maker of the games also the only hosting i heard of was slicehost heres a tut on how to use it

In my time here in BYOND, years with nothing to show sadly. I learned one thing, Game owners arent always game developers/designers/hosters. Thanks for your 2 cents but, ATPHost is good enough(as I saw), in the end its really all about your code.

~David
2DExtremeProductions wrote:
(...)in the end its really all about your code.

There are certainly more factors to that.
You're right that optimising can make or break your effort on hosting a game, but there are some points around BYOND games that you can hardly tweak on. This leaves you with needing a decent amount of bandwidth for example. And even if you could adjust the networking protocol, you'd still have the carriers/peers/location of your server influence response times to clients.
well then im just giving examples dbz hu has the most players of any byond game of all time (206 over 8 games atm) and naruto GOA has the most in 1 game(130 something) so these are the masters of hosting you should ask and even if they dont host its their game so they must know what there using to have set up the hosting in the first place
Page: 1 2