ID:181487

Hello,

I'm currently finishing up my junior year in high school and am searching around for colleges. Unlike most students in my school, I already know what I want to major in, which is architecture. I live in the state of New Jersey and am here to ask if anyone with better searching skills can point me to some good colleges in my state. Currently, I found NJIT and Rutgers which I am looking into but had little luck with finding others. Thanks for the help.
DisturbedSixx wrote:
Hello,

I'm currently finishing up my junior year in high school and am searching around for colleges. Unlike most students in my school, I already know what I want to major in, which is architecture. I live in the state of New Jersey and am here to ask if anyone with better searching skills can point me to some good colleges in my state. Currently, I found NJIT and Rutgers which I am looking into but had little luck with finding others. Thanks for the help.

Maybe a gaming website isn't the best place for this? Talk to your guidance counselor, do some googling, or find some forums that are, you know, related to architecture.
DisturbedSixx wrote:
Hello,

Look into wether or not each college is accredited. Lots of colleges offer diplomas or certificates that have very marginal value and 0 internationally. I have a hard time helping you because Canada is likely different. Pick a larger school, one that has a strong reputation and is well known. Having an obscure school will hurt you in a job application process, having a well known high quality school on your resume will be a great asset.
In response to Masterdan
Just for future clarification, New Jersey and the states are in U.S.A. Canada has Ontario and other provinces/territories.

The standards in Canada should be similar to those in the US, which are vastly different in Britain; but they all depend on the university itself. And of course, there's the international tuition fees if you go out of your country...

Edit: In the case of the difference, I mean what you need in order to be accepted.
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
Just for future clarification, New Jersey and the states are in U.S.A. Canada has Ontario and other provinces/territories.

The standards in Canada should be similar to those in the US, which are vastly different in Britain; but they all depend on the university itself. And of course, there's the international tuition fees if you go out of your country...

Well, I wonder if the USA has the same system where you can get bachelor degrees which are typically 4 years or you can get diplomas and certificates for 2-4 years as well. In canada bachelor degrees are vastly supperior and allow you to pursue several professional designations or go into law school, whereas a diploma or certificate usually has to stand on its own.
In response to Masterdan
UK is similar. Associates degrees are 2 years, Bachelor is 3, Masters is 4. Bachelor really represents the minimum standard to be considered professional.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
UK is similar. Associates degrees are 2 years, Bachelor is 3, Masters is 4. Bachelor really represents the minimum standard to be considered professional.

Oh, interesting. For us bachelors degrees stand up on their own and you have to get a bachelors degree to start the masters program, the difference is you can get a bachelors degree in anything (ie psychology) and then go on to get your masters in something else. A masters degree seems to just be a 3 year program which is the exact same thing as a bachelors degree but with the electives taken out. Getting a bachelors degree and a masters in the same thing is often seen as a waste of time here for many programs. A PhD requires a masters degree and takes ~2 years to get on top of your thesis.
In response to Masterdan
We can do a one year Masters if you have Bachelors, but I did the integrated 4 year Masters off the bat. The difference for my subject area (software enginering) was pretty significant in jobs.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
We can do a one year Masters if you have Bachelors, but I did the integrated 4 year Masters off the bat. The difference for my subject area (software enginering) was pretty significant in jobs.

Ohh, engineering is very different for us. We have two options, you get a bachelors degree and either go into industry and get practical work experience to get the PENG (professional engineering) designation, or you can get your masters degree which I think somehow gives you hours towards your PENG too. Its weird.

Then for accounting like im in, you get a bachelors degree and then you do correspondance school (Chartered Accountant School of Buisiness) for ~2 years while you are working full time and write a 3 day 8 hour a day test at the end of it to get your CA designation. Some people get Masters in accounting, its usually because they had a bachelors in something else and wanted to be an accountant later or its because they want to teach accounting.