ID:1815054

(See the best response by Ter13.)
Problem description:
Hello again,

Now I am having issues mapping 16x32 icons on a 32x32 animated icon. If there is no animated icon just null space, the 16x32 is fine , if a 32x32 is placed on the animated 32x32 it is fine. Just anything under 32x32, and lined up with another 32x32 seems to have a problem when the turf is animated. Any ideas why this is?

Can you do a better job of explaining what you are doing? This didn't make any sense to me.
So the water is animated, and is 32x32. The Backsplash which will be on a boat is also animated and 32x32 ( the ones you can see ) there is also a 16x32 which goes underneath the backsplash that is visible which is in the red circle, but it is not visible and is under the 32x32 water. My world.icon size = 16 and is causing this issue, i just can't figure out why. If I place the 16x32 alone in null space, it is fine. For some reason it does not like to be placed 16 pixels away when on top of an animated icon.
I think I'm gonna need you to draw me a diagram of what you are trying to do, because I'm having trouble following. Why is your water 32x32 if it's a 16x16 icon_size? Why not break it up into 4 tiles? That's how tiles are supposed to work.
Memory space saver, and time saver if all my icons were 16x16 would take me forever to map. And I have no problems with the icons themselves as I said in null space ( by themselves ) there is no issue. What I am trying to do is place an icon under the backsplash in the red circles of the picture. The top red circle shows the icon is there, but the bottom red circle where the tile should be, isn't. And also if I made all my icons 16x16 isn't that going backward for BYOND? They made it possible to use bigger sized icons etc for this reason, why break up something 4 times when it doesn't need to be. There is just a flaw somewhere in its codeing, and all I am trying to figure out is how to go about fixing that, or going around it if possible without having to make my 16x32 a 32x32 or by breaking my water up into 4 pieces which also is hard as hell to animate correctly.
They made it possible to use bigger sized icons etc for this reason, why break up something 4 times when it doesn't need to be.

Yes, but turfs can't cover a larger area than a single tile. This means that you result in improper coverage. A 32x32 icon being set to a turf would result in a map that looks like this:

BB
AB

Where B is a different turf type than A. Turfs should only be larger than the world icon-size provided the overlappable areas aren't interactive.

I still don't exactly understand what you are trying to do. Your descriptions aren't making sense because what you are doing doesn't make sense from a mapping standpoint. You are running into a layering issue because this isn't how turfs are supposed to work. Break them up.
So just a question, btw not trying to be rude at all just trying to understand just like you are of me, which seems we are both getting aggravated that neither of us understands the other. Why does my 32x32 water work on top of the 32x32 animated icon, also I have placed 16x16, 32x32 , 64 x 64 , 128 x 128, and 256 x 256 all on a same map without issues at all. My problem is that the off set tile is not showing up , and the map cursor to lay down the icon is not 16x16 it is the same size as the icon so that shouldn't have anything to do with it. For some reason if the icon is offset and not a perfect square no matter the size, it causes problems on other tiles. I don't know how to explain it any other way so maybe someone else can give me some insight if they understand what i am talking about, don't want to waste your time anymore considering you don't.
Best response
I'm definitely not frustrated. I'm attempting to understand what you are saying because I haven't yet perfected reading minds. I know this language and environment better than just about anyone else alive --If what you are doing isn't making sense to me, it's just not being clearly described.

That said, are you laying a turf with pixel offsets on top of a tile without pixel offsets?

Tiles are added as underlays to the top-most tile. So the tiles underneath the top-most tile are being added to the underlays list of the topmost turf, which will make them inherit the pixel offsets of the top-most turf.

I'm really strongly advising breaking up your turfs into 16x16 tiles, because what you are doing seems like it's going to cause you headaches later. Headaches like this one.
I just don't get how you are not understanding what I am explaining. But you answered the question regardless the off set icon is being thrown under the 32x32, all I wanted to know is why. I have click to insert instance on but still throws it under the rug. This should not be happening and should be bugged, but in any case i made a temporary solution until i figure out another way, or do as you suggested.
You shouldn't try to use 32x32 turfs if you're using 16x16 tile size. Yes, it's more effort with mapping, but that's the price you pay. All of my projects have always been 16x16. This isn't a bug, rather user error.

Just make your water 16x16, bruh.
It in fact is a bug, there is no user error for all I have done is used a tile set of 32x16 and placed it over a 32x32 off set. Considering the compiler allows the use of any size icons which is being animated ( remember they added this option years ago for going around the fact to use obj as overlays for anything bigger than 32x32? ) up to 256 x 256. If the option is there, yet it does not work as intended, then that is not user error but the error in the coding through the compiler. All I did was script some line of turf code to be able to place icons on a map, with no error and just labeling the sprites using icon_states, there was no user error at all. Saying that though, I can understand why it is happening due to Ter13's explanation , but it still doesn't meant it is not a bug. If the option to use something is added, yet not tested fully for any scenario, why is that user error? I have been in QA for over 15 years, if I blamed myself for clipping through the wall because i am the one who executed the flaw, how is that logic? In any case, the case is resolved with a simple fix, but it isn't a fix of the compiler. If using the sprites dimensions causes problems like this maybe they should revert to just everything being 32x32 again without the option to make bigger icons.
Saying that though, I can understand why it is happening due to Ter13's explanation , but it still doesn't meant it is not a bug.

You can only have one turf per tile on the map. A turf is literally a space on the map. if you overlap them, the bottom one becomes purely visual. That's just how BYOND works. We can't have multiple turfs in one place, because atoms cannot be collocated unless they are movables.

It's just not a bug. It's intended behavior.

If using the sprites dimensions causes problems like this maybe they should revert to just everything being 32x32 again without the option to make bigger icons.

BYOND has no problems with sprite dimensions bigger than 32x32. I use them all the time. It's just that turfs simply only have a coverage area of the world's icon_size. Larger icons are really meant to be used on objects and mobs primarily. If you do use a turf with a larger icon_size than the world icon_size, you just have to remember that only a single tile of that turf is technically there on the map, and the turfs will layer over and under each other according to BYOND's rendering/map construction scheme.

If you still believe this to be a bug, then by all means, put together an example project that will give Lummox and Tom an idea of what you are talking about, and report it.